growing above ground veggies

• 8 Replies

onthebeach

growing above ground veggies
« on: March 05, 2010, 09:22 »
hi all,

im still quite new to all this growing veggies and stuff and have found you all very helpful in advising me since i have been on here.

i have started myself off with cherry tomatoes, basil and peppers and am proud to say they are all coming up really well in my plastic greenhouse which is at the moment located in my house because of the weather but as i say they are coming up really well.

i want to start growing a couple of other things now but want to grow things that grow above ground so i can see whats going on.

i was thinking of rocket, the italian theme continued but can anyone give me suggestions for other veggies that i can grow above ground in order to keep an eye on whats going on.

again i do thank you all for your comments and help.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: growing above ground veggies
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 09:25 »
peas, beans, sweetcorn, courgettes, squash, pumpkins, lettuce, broccolli, sprouts, caulies, cabbages, etc etc

Theres a long list  :lol:
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 10:38 »
Peas would be good, there are some varieties that you can start now and if you soak them first they germinate in a few days and will be above ground very quick :)

digalotty

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 11:13 »
all the above as mentioned but why dont you try something underground aswell, it will give you confidence to adventure a little , try a couple of spuds you can grow them in pots or in the ground .
the reason i say this is you dont know whats there till you harvest and thats the excitng bit, theres nothing better than than fresh homegrown spuds so why not have a go   
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

dougsta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 11:29 »
all the above as mentioned but why dont you try something underground aswell, it will give you confidence to adventure a little , try a couple of spuds you can grow them in pots or in the ground .
the reason i say this is you dont know whats there till you harvest and thats the excitng bit, theres nothing better than than fresh homegrown spuds so why not have a go   

Agreed
For me the most fun is in digging stuff up from in the earth. Digging spuds is my particular favourite. The suspense of not knowing what's going to be down there is great and the joy at discovering something is actually there is a wonderful feeling. It makes me feel just the same now as it did when I was a child - like uncovering buried treasure!
If at first you don't succeed..... cheat!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 12:06 »
How much space have you got, how good or bad is the soil, how much sun does the plot get, and above all, what do you like to eat?

As peapod says, there is potentially a long list; in your situation I would go for crops which are relatively easy and reliable, which would include beans, salad leaves (Italian mix?), shallots, and yes Rocket (why not?)

I also agree that it's a shame to miss the thrill of digging (and eating!) home-grown potatoes if you've got the space (don't forget that a goodly proportion of the potato plant is above the ground!)  :wub:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

onthebeach

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 19:06 »
thanks for your suggestions i have gone for rocket, sprouts and cabbage..

havent got much soil in my garden its all grass and therefore cant really grow below soil plus i have a very inquisitive springer spaniel that likes to dig !!!!

kingston boy

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 19:15 »
cylindrical beetroot always seem to grow out of the ground, or dont i just plant it deep enough?

DavidT

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 19:28 »
thanks for your suggestions i have gone for rocket, sprouts and cabbage..

havent got much soil in my garden its all grass and therefore cant really grow below soil

So how are you going to grow above ground plants then?

xx
Dog poo and growing veggies

Started by elrosco on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 20, 2010, 22:16
by Elcie
xx
new to growing veggies.

Started by thebumbles on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 20, 2011, 10:07
by gillie
xx
is this a bad year to be growing veggies for the first time?

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 30, 2013, 13:23
by BobE
xx
Growing blueberries....? in the ground?

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 31, 2008, 09:42
by Beetroot queen

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 36 queries.