Cleaning the Greenhouse

• 14 Replies

Broadhaven

• Experienced Member
Cleaning the Greenhouse
« on: November 15, 2009, 12:43 »
I am cleaning the greenhouse and this may sound like a stupid question, but am I being too fussy trying to clean the glass that overlaps the panes of glass. I am having trouble getting between them, or is there an easy way?

I am using just ordinary kitchen cleaning solutions, should I be using a special one?

Thanks

peterjf

Re: Cleaning the Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 13:22 »
to sterilize the greenhouse we use jeyes fluid , we never ever bother cleaning the glass,

maybe hose the outside, maybe add a little wash up liquid to it , then wash it off.

we have also used sulphur candles from e-bay to kill off the wintering critters ,

beansticks

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 15:12 »
Like Peter,i use jeyes fluid diluted in a 10 ltr pump spray bottle,this is used inside the greenhouse,sprayed over every glass until it runs and covers every pane.It is then hosed off with cold water.I do not try to clean the bit that overlaps.The jeyes normally runs down between.The only caution is it does affect my breathing so i wear a mask.

Babstreefern

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 16:18 »
Yep, us as well with Jeyes Fluid.  In fact we did one of the greenhouses today.  We don't spray it on, we use a cloth and then a srubbing brush, although say that, I don't scrub my better half (hubby) did it :D

He's doing the other greenhouse next week :tongue2:
Babs

savbo

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 16:26 »
a plastic plant label stick thing is good for cleaning between the overlap, only takes a sec and even if it doesn't make much difference to light is stops it getting worse year on year until the moss is in there...

M

madcat

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 16:54 »
And when the moss is there, its on its way to cracking the glass ... :(
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 16:54 »
My neighbour uses a power washer though I guess you would have to use the vario lance to be sure of not breaking the glass until you feel confident, and it would depend on the robustness of the greenhouse and its glass. By the way, I don't use Jeye's Fluid as it is very poisonous to cats, though I don't know if that means neat or what but I don't risk it as I have five of the little lovelies. Any cat lovers out there, please let me know!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Alby

• Experienced Member
    • Up the Bridal Path
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 18:45 »
And when the moss is there, its on its way to cracking the glass ... :(

Dont say things like that madcat  :ohmy: the best crop I have is my moss  :wub:

I use a soft brush and just plain water to keep the place clean
wish I was a cat

madcat

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 19:46 »
And the cats!  You have a great crop of cats....   :D

tode

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 21:30 »
If you cut a strip of stiffish plastic about an inch wide x 10 inches long, you can slip it between the panes and ease out the moss and dirt.   ;)

newatthis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 21:51 »
My neighbour uses a power washer though I guess you would have to use the vario lance to be sure of not breaking the glass until you feel confident, and it would depend on the robustness of the greenhouse and its glass. By the way, I don't use Jeye's Fluid as it is very poisonous to cats, though I don't know if that means neat or what but I don't risk it as I have five of the little lovelies. Any cat lovers out there, please let me know!

hello, yes it is and any other stuff turns the water white, it's to do with the fumes i think, i had persains a couple of yrs back and was told by breeders not to use it plus any other stuff, that turned the water white..
zoe pattinson :)

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 22:21 »
We've got three cats and three chickens and I must confess I use  (well diluted) Jeyes Fluid to clean the staging and floor of the greenhouse, but just use Fairy Liquid and water on the glass.  I also use it to clean  flower pots and to springclean the chicken coop.  I make sure the cats and chooks are well away until everything is clean and dry.  Same thing when I spray the drive setts with Roundup.  I think in both cases, when it is dry, it is okay.  All the pets look pretty perky anyway. 

On the subject of poison, did you know that lily pollen is very dangerous for cats?  I don't buy or grow them, but if anyone gives me a bunch I just remove the stamens as soon as the buds open.  The pollen stains clothes and carpets anyway. 

Ivah

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 09:10 »
I spray the glass with Jeyes fluid made up with hot water in garden sprayer and make sure it gets well into the joints of the glass. While there is a good warm "fug" in there from doing this I fire up the sulphur candle. After about a week I wash it down and the dead algae usually washes out of the joints. I hose from the inside but sometimes pressure wash from the outside.
'Nullius in verba' - 'Take nobody's word for it'

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 13:15 »
How much, if any, of the Jeyes Fluid spray / power-washing can I do with crops in the greenhouse?

I've taken the Toms out, so one side is now empty (and I'll take the soil out soon, so I could do that first).

But the other side has Chard, Pak choi, French beans. Lettuce and so on ... and that won't be cleared until its time for the spring crops, so won;t leave a lot of time ...

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 11:32 »
How much, if any, of the Jeyes Fluid spray / power-washing can I do with crops in the greenhouse?

I've taken the Toms out, so one side is now empty (and I'll take the soil out soon, so I could do that first).

But the other side has Chard, Pak choi, French beans. Lettuce and so on ... and that won't be cleared until its time for the spring crops, so won;t leave a lot of time ...
I wouldn't spray if you have crops in, nowt worse than the taste of Jeyes  :nowink:
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
Cleaning the greenhouse

Started by Geordie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 19, 2008, 15:39
by GrannieAnnie
xx
greenhouse glass cleaning

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 17, 2008, 07:56
by DD.
xx
Cleaning greenhouse. Mould everywhere

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 06, 2023, 17:01
by wighty
xx
cleaning tools

Started by tully on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 22, 2008, 20:45
by gobs

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 38 queries.