Pea Disaster

• 6 Replies

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
Pea Disaster
« on: June 15, 2006, 09:56 »
Having tended my three rows of peas carefully they were growing really well.  Then on Tuesday this week, becuase of the rain I didn't visit the site.  I returned this morning to find them eaten to the ground by Pigeons.  Have I got time to plant another three rows and still get a crop?  I have never planted Peas later than May before now.
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

yewtreemob

Pea Disaster
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 10:13 »
bad luck.  Yes you can sow peas thro June.  I use a succesional (aka quick growing) pea like meteor and/or a known late main variety like Balmoral which crops into October

stompy

Pea Disaster
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 10:19 »
Sory to hear that rugbymad, we don't tend to suffer with pidgeons here.

I put another 2 rows of chitted peas in yesterday, according to the pack you can keep sowing into june.

I layed mine between 2 pieces of wet kitchen roll to chit them, i leave them for about 5 days so you get a realy long root and usualy a small shoot, just got to be a bit careful when planting thats all.

They should be through in about 2-3 days.

Hope thats of some help. :)

mellowmick

• Experienced Member
Pea Disaster
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 13:22 »
Check on recipes for pea & pigeon pie. If not there, I'll find one and post it, along side fresh rabbit with cauliflower and mini-kail, which I'm planning for later in the year. :evil:

supersprout

• Experienced Member
Pea Disaster
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 18:45 »
Hi rugbymad, after similar disasters I cover peas and brassica with mesh now until they get bigger, when the pigeons don't seem interested - maybe they don't like to pick on something their own size :wink:

Treehugger

• http://www.rspbsouthshropshire.co.uk
Pea Disaster
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 09:38 »
I like the idea of pea and pigeon pie!  :lol:

I sympathise as the same thing has happened to me. I'm just about to make my third attempt at sowing peas - pigeons ate the first lovingly tended plants and mice must have eaten the second lot before they even germinated. The netting idea is good - but does anyone else have terrible problems dealing with the stuff? It always seems to want to bend in the wrong direction and gets tangled up with everything, and why is it always windy when you decide to use it??  :?

supersprout

• Experienced Member
Pea Disaster
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 14:02 »
Mesh, rather than netting, is easier to control and I find it more versatile - it keeps out weevils, pigeons and cabbage whites! I have wire cloche frames on several beds, when I plant in them the mesh goes over (trying not to pick a windy day). Earlier this year I planted kale, and left them ONE DAY and the pigeons got them :cry: - never again!

It seems bit of a faff at the time, but well rewarded :wink:

xx
Disaster after disaster this year

Started by rugbymad40 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 30, 2007, 00:25
by leeky
xx
Disaster

Started by oggy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 02, 2006, 17:25
by John
xx
disaster

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 15:47
by Trillium
xx
Oh No! Disaster of not?

Started by suesowsseed on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 22:40
by hindy

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 39 queries.