turnips of plenty

• 4 Replies

rowlandwells

turnips of plenty
« on: December 07, 2022, 17:51 »
I called in on my farmer friends today and he said do you want a turnip with a big grin and of cause I said yes so he told me where the turnip field was to go and pick a few before they turned the sheep on it and O'

rowlandwells

Re: turnips of plenty
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 18:00 »
I've started so Il finish don't know what happened there probably I pressed the wrong button anyway as I was about to say O' boy where they good turnips a purple top variety about 10 acre of them so the wife and I pulled a few before the sheep got there  :)

I tried to grow a few this year on the allotments  and they turned out as big as marbles they must be doing something I'm not doing to get a crop like that  :(

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2022, 20:35 »
Hello rowlandwells,  I thought purple topped turnips were swedes!  I remember digging out the innards of a swede for haloween, boy did my thumb and fingers hurt.  The kids today with their soft pumpkins..  In fact I might just try a swede next year... :)

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2022, 11:34 »
Hi Tony if you look at Kings catalogue they have two  varieties of turnip Milan purple top and veitchs red globe and as for swede  there a lovely veg mashed up with potatoes or a veg on its own with butter you can't bet it I've grown swede two ways direct sowing in a row and starting them of in modules this year I started the swede of in modules then forgot about um then it was to late to plant them out so bought a couple from the supermarket the other day you know one day Il get round to growing swede I will honest

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2022, 16:16 »
I've only tried the Milan purple top and it was a complete failure! I don't like them that much so wasn't too worried

As for swede, I really like it, easy to grow compared to some brassicas and it stores fine where it grows over winter and into early spring although deer like it. I grew a supposed f1 variety this year, but it's all shapes and sizes and also got a couple of green topped ones there too. No matter but I think premier seeds direct gave me the wrong seeds or a mix!

xx
Sub Atctic Plenty Tom's

Started by Ropster on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2008, 20:27
by pumpkin-queen
xx
how do you grow and get plenty of strawberry's .

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 26, 2018, 22:50
by Nobbie
xx
New allotment -plenty of bricks where's my soil?!!

Started by Odders on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 28, 2023, 10:37
by snowdrops
xx
Flowers a plenty but NO RUNNER BEANS.

Started by greenfingersIdontthink on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 01, 2008, 14:22
by Beejay

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 34 queries.