Fruit trees

• 6 Replies

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
Fruit trees
« on: December 11, 2015, 18:46 »
Hi,
I need some i'm looking at moving my fruit trees from the ground to a pot, they were planted in the ground last year.   I was looking at getting a 200lt water butt cut it in half like in the picture.  Would this be a big enough size for there needs?

With pruning them should I leave it till next year or would it be ok to to do it this year?

Thanks

Dan
$_57.JPG
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Fruit trees
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 22:51 »
What sort of rootstocks do you have - are they dwarfing rootstocks or bigger ones?

I'm not convinced that anything bigger than the smallest dwarfing rootstocks will be happy in there.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 14:16 »
Hi,

Sorry I should of put this yes they are all dwarfing rootstocks. What size pot would you recommend them to go into? 

I was going to put them back in the ground but would rather they be in a pot incase i every leave the allotment i can take them with me.

Thanks

engineer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 16:26 »
Dantheman, Hi, I did the same thing 3years ago, bought an Apple with dwarfing root stock, stuck it in half barrel and it fruits better than my Cordons! Just give it a feed in spring and don't let it dry out or overwater it.

Dave

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 21:25 »
Hi,

Thanks I will put them into them i was thinking of adding a Terracotta Watering pot at planting to aid watering.

Thanks

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 00:01 »
They will grow in half-tubs. My dad had a couple in his back gardens for several years.

You could try a short section of down-pipe inserted a few inches into the compost/soil mix to quickly dliver a belt of water to the roots. It might be easier than only watering the surface.

You need to keep an eye on the roots as they can poke their way through the base if left in the tub for too many years without moving them.

We have a massive mimosa in my mother's front garden that has sneaked it's way through the base of a very large wooden 1/2 barrel and squeezed down between the concrete paving stones. It is loving the extra moisture... for now  ;)

Hope it works out well for you. Wish I had done the same with my plum tree - had to leave that behind on the plot and it was a beaut.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 12:45 »
Hi again,
Engineer (Dave) what size holes did you drill into the bottom?  Not sure what would be best.

Thanks

xx
Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 11:40
by Ruth Cross
xx
Re: Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2017, 20:30
by New shoot
xx
fruit trees and fruit bushes...

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 23:37
by Sparkyrog
xx
Fruit trees - 1st year fruit

Started by Frothgar on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 09:49
by Frothgar

Page created in 0.483 seconds with 31 queries.