Raspberry Canes

• 14 Replies

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
Raspberry Canes
« on: December 11, 2014, 12:07 »
I have been gifted some raspberry canes (Octavia) which I believe are summer fruiting variety, (please feel free to correct me if I am wrong).  I have approximately 12 canes in a 1 litre pot. 

When would be the best time to plant the canes as I am worried the ground will be to cold i.e. frozen at the moment.

Also will I get a crop from this variety in 2015  ;) :nowink: ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Raspberry Canes
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 12:31 »
Plant them asap - as long as the soil isn't frozen ( a little overnight frost doesn't usually freeze below the surface)

Yes, they are summer fruiting, which are pruned on planting and will grow canes next year to fruit in 2016.

Unless...................they are 'long cane' plants like this, which I doubt.

These would be planted and left unpruned to fruit next year - but they are expensive to buy.

Don't forget to rig up some kind of support for them, 

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 14:50 »
Thank you I was hoping for home grown raspberries in 2015, looks like I may have to acquire a little bit of patience.
 :ohmy: :wacko: :blush:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 15:41 »
I was hoping for home grown raspberries in 2015, looks like I may have to acquire a little bit of patience.

IMHO Better they establish well in 2015 and build up a good root structure to give you heavier yields & crops thereafter :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 16:41 »
Thank you I was hoping for home grown raspberries in 2015,

Autumn fruiting rasps would do that ;)

3759allen

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 19:37 »
you may get some fruit from them next year, don't expect huge amounts though.

mine produced a small amount of fruit around june and right through til november in their first year. i would take it they won't produce and it's a bonus if you do get a few handfuls.

all i would say is to add some sort of manure to the planting hole and mulch well to give them a good start.

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 20:02 »
I was hoping for home grown raspberries in 2015, looks like I may have to acquire a little bit of patience.

IMHO Better they establish well in 2015 and build up a good root structure to give you heavier yields & crops thereafter :)

I know you are right, I just hate paying the shop prices for raspberries that I love  :) :) Nevermind the jam I was hoping to make  :ohmy:

Thank you I was hoping for home grown raspberries in 2015,

Autumn fruiting rasps would do that ;)

Now you have got me thinking where can I squeeze in some autumn fruiting ones  8)

you may get some fruit from them next year, don't expect huge amounts though.

mine produced a small amount of fruit around june and right through til november in their first year. i would take it they won't produce and it's a bonus if you do get a few handfuls.

all i would say is to add some sort of manure to the planting hole and mulch well to give them a good start.

I am a long way down on the waiting list for manure any other suggestions, also what would you recommend for a mulch???

3759allen

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 09:57 »
all i use now is rabbit bedding and muck. rotted down as a manure and fresh as a mulch (i try to spread the fresh stuff out for a week or two to get rid of the ammonia before mulching, especially if using it in the poly tunnel).

worth putting an ad on gumtree, freecycle, etc asking if anyone has and sort of manure. is there anyone local to you that keeps horses, rabbits, chickens, etc? a lot of people end up paying to have it removed, so would be grateful of a regular and reliable collection.

also heard that sheep droppings can be added to soil or compost (ideally from a heap), never tried this though.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 11:31 »
Have you got any compost in your bin, you could use that as a mulch.

fatcat1955

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 23:49 »
Most important thing to add to the planting hole is Bonemeal aka The Root maker.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 10:39 »
Most important thing to add to the planting hole is Bonemeal aka The Root maker.

Current scientific thinking is that that is a myth ... in particular very important not to add Potash if also adding a Mycorrhizal fungi like Rootgrow as it kills the beneficial fungi.

e.g.:

http://puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda%20chalker-scott/horticultural%20myths_files/Myths/Bonemeal.pdf

Personally I used to find that using Bonemeal encouraged the foxes to stop by that night and dig them all back up again- I presume they smelled what they thought would be a tasty buried meal :(

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 10:11 »
Sometimes too much knowledge is confusing to a beginner like me  :unsure: as I had added mycorrhizal fungi in the hole with the bare rooted plants and them 10 days later have I added some bonemeal. 

Now I have no idea what benefits my raspberries will have if anything  :unsure:

Any suggestions please   :tongue2:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 10:25 »
I reckon they will be fine ... planted with nothing they will do OK, just us gardeners like to encourage / force them along a bit / lot!

You could consider giving them "plenty" of bonemeal - that will force the plants to develop roots, which is the old way (scientists now tell us that although using bonemeal works, it is because it forces the plant to make roots and has the detrimental effect of killing off beneficial mycorrhizal fungi - so current thinking is to provide mycorrhizal fungi and nothing else which means that the plant does it naturally, and without being forced (which can lead to other stresses on the plant) ...

... but "Ask two gardeners and get three opinions" also applies :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 10:28 by Kristen »

3759allen

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 20:12 »
i tend to go natural for 2 main reasons.

firstly it's cheaper with home made compost, leaf mulch, manure

secondly all chemicals seem to have some sort of detrimental effect. you use one chemical and use more chemicals to counter the undesired effects, and the cycle starts.

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2014, 17:35 »
Thank you for all the lovely advice, all plants are now mulched, next time it will be with home grown compost i.e. my next project xx  :)

xx
Raspberry canes

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 29, 2022, 12:00
by Hampshire Hog
xx
raspberry canes given to me - help

Started by titch on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 13, 2008, 12:22
by woodburner
xx
New Raspberry Canes

Started by HaggisWhisperer on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 15, 2009, 19:28
by gobs
xx
Raspberry canes available when?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 22, 2010, 21:46
by gowing238

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 37 queries.