Question about cat litter leeks

• 9 Replies

tangojulie

• Experienced Member
Question about cat litter leeks
« on: January 25, 2014, 13:27 »
Hello all

I don't have any cat litter trays but I do have a vast number of supermarket fruit cartons - the kind that come with 6 peaches or kiwis and the like. They're much deeper than a seed tray but I don't know how they compare with the depth of a cat litter tray.

Is there something special about the depth/area/opacity of cat litter trays that means the fruit cartons would be a poor substitute?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Question about cat litter leeks
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 14:42 »
For me, the litter trays are just so easy to cope with, sowing the seeds in straight lines an inch or so apart

getting on for a hundred leeks in one conatainer  ;)

For anybody who hasn't seen it DD's leek thread
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=26363.0

I also find old washing up bowls work quite well..........

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 14:47 »
Cat-litter tray depth is good as there's plenty of room for the roots to develop so any sturdy container would do the job if there's sufficient depth of compost.

I agree with mumofstig - one cat litter sized tray is easier than several little ones. I use a very large seed tray - about the same dimensions as a cat litter tray. The cat refuses to let me have hers!  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 16:50 »
The cat litter method means you plant the leeks individually and don't have to space them out at any point before planting in final position.

With the smaller punnets you scatter the seed more closely, which risks the plants struggling for space and nutrients.

And yes, I did the latter method last year - and then didn't feed them in the punnet / planted them out until far too late - with the result that they are just like grass this year.  That being said, I've had poor results from the cat litter tray method in previous years, so maybe leeks and I are just not intended to be soulmates!!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 00:47 »
The cat litter method means you plant the leeks individually and don't have to space them out at any point before planting in final position.

With the smaller punnets you scatter the seed more closely, which risks the plants struggling for space and nutrients.

And yes, I did the latter method last year - and then didn't feed them in the punnet / planted them out until far too late - with the result that they are just like grass this year.  That being said, I've had poor results from the cat litter tray method in previous years, so maybe leeks and I are just not intended to be soulmates!!

Don't give up on those leeks... they really are a wonderful crop to harvest through the winter. I was late getting mine into the ground last year. My neighbours were not at all happy... their's had been hit by leek moth but, by chance, planting out later meant the moth had done it's worst by the time mine leeks arrived on the plot.

Try a good sprinkling of chicken manure pellets at or soon after planting out time then water frequently and watch them flourish.

tangojulie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 13:48 »
Thank you all. I also have a few old washing up bowls, so that's probably the way to go.

Looking forward to the best leeks ever.....

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 00:52 »
Thank you all. I also have a few old washing up bowls, so that's probably the way to go.

Looking forward to the best leeks ever.....

Good luck!!  ;)

gypsy

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 11:46 »
Do you make drainage holes in the trays?
Catherine

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 12:25 »
Yes  ;)

savbo

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 13:48 »
in an idle moment last year in took a piece of wood as long as the width of the litter tray and fixed bits of dowel (about 2cm long and 2cm apart)...use it to make the seed holes in the compost.Width of wood also sets the distance between rows. Works OK, though edges of holes fall in sometimes

sav

xx
Litter Tray Leeks

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 13, 2009, 16:44
by Snap Dragon
xx
Leeks in cat litter tray

Started by ianl on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 26, 2013, 15:02
by DD.
xx
Leeks in a litter tray.

Started by SusieB on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 00:54
by Paul Plots
xx
leeks in litter tray - indoors or out?

Started by savbo on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 24, 2012, 09:32
by lucywil

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 39 queries.