Spud question!

• 9 Replies

lianne1978

Spud question!
« on: March 21, 2010, 08:56 »
Hi there,

My husband has made me a couple of square crates 1m x 1m and approximately 40cm high.  The wood was from the old raised beds which we had taken up, there is no base on the crates but they will be placed on top of some weed suppressant which is currently covering a large area of weeds.  I intend to put my earlies in these (hopefully today!), but wanted to ask a couple of questions first.

a) what combination of soil, compost and/or manure should go in and to what depth?
b) what's the maximum amount of spuds that should be placed in each?

I look forward to your responses.

Lianne

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Spud question!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 09:07 »
Hi Lianne
Im a burnley babe too  :D

1. Combo isnt so much of a problem as long as the soil is well fell, so as long as the manure is well rotted then for a 1m crate Id add about a quarter as manure, with the rest soil and compost. Then keep feeding with BFB throughout the growing period, as spuds will soon deplete the nutrients in a small area.

2. The possible problem with the crates is that they are quite small in height (for spuds)  Is there anyway that they could be raised a bit? If not then I'd just put one or two in. Put about 4 inches of compost/handful of manure at the bottom and then cover them. Then keep adding more to cover the foliage as they grow.
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

lianne1978

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 09:13 »
Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately the wood was used from old raised beds and that's all there was! I've selected two lots of earlies and I've got about 10 of each so don't really want to waste them! What's the latest time they can be planted? We are currently in the process of creating another large raised bed for the main spuds, so could hold on another week or two and put them in that.

If I decide not to use the crates for spuds, have you any suggestions what else they would be suitable for?

Cheers,

Lianne

Kimberley04

• Experienced Member
  • Very new to all this gardening lark
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 09:15 »
If they're quite small and shallow, you could use it for salad crops.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 09:19 »
Theres plenty of time yet...some aren't planting spuds until Easter hols (including me) so they will certainly hang on until you have finished the main bed. You wont regret growing spuds believe me!

As for what else can go in the crates, the list is long! Cut and come again lettuce, carrots (I grow mine in a raised bed), Dwarf french beans (fab),toms (though you need to be quick and start them off indoors), courgette (heavy cropper), chilli peppers and bell peppers.  All these have worked for me in Burnley weather!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 09:28 »
40 cm high is about what most tubs are, isn't it....(16in in old money? think so anyway :) )
So each bed is 40 inches x 40ins and 16in deep ?

I reckon, if you just treat them as a large tubs you could get 4/5 seed spuds in each. Put a layer of compost mix in the bottom, Initially just cover the seed spuds with a few inches of compost mix and carry on covering them as they grow, untill the boxes are full :)

lianne1978

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 09:44 »
Thanks for the quick replies peapod and mumofstig.

Without measuring them it would be difficult to say the exact measurements but I think you are probably about right mumofstig. I'll put 4/5 in and see how I get on.

Lianne

digalotty

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 09:49 »
it sounds like you will have some spuds left over dont waste them get some buckets and put them in the bottom and do the same , cover as they grow to the top of the bucket.
if you have a local supermarket go and ask them for the flower buckets they are ideal for spuds and you get 8 for £1 at morrisons or free at other supermarkets ask at the desk  :)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 11:53 »
The crates would be fabulous for carrots - fill with nice sifted compost and soil.

Trikidiki

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 20:58 »
If they're the same size you could put one on top of the other to give you more depth for your spuds. I'd then go for about ten spuds in that space. They may end up smaller than if they had more space but probably more of them.

I have three similar size beds which I have made polythene covered lids for and am using them as seed/nursery beds or cloches.

xx
Another spud question.

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 29, 2008, 09:46
by Pompey Spud
xx
Another spud question

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 26, 2014, 23:16
by Muppetgirly
xx
Spud Question

Started by South Downs Wayer on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2008, 13:22
by South Downs Wayer
xx
spud question

Started by Robin Redbreast on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 22:30
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.387 seconds with 40 queries.