What to do with "used" compost

• 5 Replies

JoandSteve

What to do with "used" compost
« on: June 26, 2010, 09:31 »
We're very new at this allotment business, having been allocated one about 6 weeks ago, so not much chance of anything decent this summer. However, we have some potatoes and tomatoes in growbags and sacks. Can the compost from these be dug into the allotment, to aid its nutrient levels, or is it of no use?

Starling

• Experienced Member
Re: What to do with "used" compost
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 09:36 »
This is my first year too, I have been adding the used compost to the soil, not sure there are any nutrients left but it adds structure to my clay soil

Zippy

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 09:40 »
My buckets of potatoes have been tipped out and harvested, then re-filled witht he spent compost and planted with lettuce (a non-demanding plant), harvested and then planted with fennel and lamb's lettuce.  So providing you follow with plants that do not have hungry appetites you can keep compost going for quite a while before it goes to condition the soil, which is another great use for it.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 12:08 by Zippy »

Livinhope

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 09:43 »
We're very new at this allotment business, having been allocated one about 6 weeks ago, so not much chance of anything decent this summer. However, we have some potatoes and tomatoes in growbags and sacks. Can the compost from these be dug into the allotment, to aid its nutrient levels, or is it of no use?

You can still plant spring onions, spring cabbage seeds, beetroot, french beans,  give it a go it will inspire you for next year. :D

Trikidiki

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 18:29 »
After its first use it will be pretty much depleted of all nutrients.

Mix in some BFB and do as suggested above and get a catch crop of lettuce or something else quick growing.

By next year the structure of the compost will have broken down and it will be pretty much like dust. Don't try using again for anything important on its own next year.

Best use is as you suggest, dig in to your soil to help improve it.

Zippy

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 19:33 »
Blood fish and bone not needed if you are going to follow up with something like lettuce. Lettuce will grow well enough in spent compost without using animal products.  if you do feel like giving the lettuce a boost there is always comfrey extractor worm farm juice.

Carrots don't like nitrogen rich soil/compost so i have sown up a tub of Nantes in another spend compost tub and expect the y will do ok in there, then the compost will go down the lotty as a soil improver.

Just my twopenneth.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 23:57 by Zippy »

xx
Are you a seed "chitting" or "no-chit" sort of person?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 12:00
by crh75
xx
follow on from "yikes I have a slow worm in my compost heap" !!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 12, 2010, 14:30
by starry
xx
"Garden" compost - how good are you at making it?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post December 01, 2013, 20:41
by snowdrops
xx
Seed compost in the "Dig for Victory" days

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 18:57
by Zippy

Page created in 0.446 seconds with 38 queries.