Puzzling chick behaviour

• 3 Replies

ClareDudley

Puzzling chick behaviour
« on: July 15, 2011, 21:52 »
I have a brood of 5 six week old marans chicks which have turned out to be four cockerels and one hen.  They have been a very happy bunch until yesterday, when one of the cockerels laid into another one incredibly visciously. holding onto its flesh.  I immediately removed the chick, which has a hole in its neck, and a raw skinless place on its back, and have now divided them into two groups, keeping the mother with the group with the injured bird.

I have never had any aggression in my birds before and am puzzled as to why this happened.  The chicks have a wonderful broody mother, and are out in a safe pen on my lawn.  The only stressful thing could be that I am in the process of changing them from chick crumbs to growers pellets.

I would be grateful if someone could suggest why this might have happened?  Have I got an aggressive cockerel chick, or is this caused by something else?

Junie

Re: Puzzling chick behaviour
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 23:30 »
I am no expert but I would say all cockerels are different, some more aggressive than others, they all do their running and jumping attack, but perhaps this one just got 'lucky'  We had two cockerel chicks a couple of years ago, one was much more aggressive than the other and used to go for my son.  there were no tears when the fox got him!!
We currently have 2 seven week old Co-Nu chicks and the one that we definately know is a male had a go at my jack Russell today, none of my other birds has been anywhere near the dog and certainly not attacked, he was very lucky to get way with 3 fewer feathers, my JRT was very shamed faced at his misdemeanor, but we saw it all, and I think he restrained himself really well!

The chicks will fight, and then they will get attacked when put in with older girls, such is the 'pecking order'
I would keep an eye on him and he may become poussin rather than a roaster!

ClareDudley

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 13:46 »
Dear Junie,

Thanks for your delightful reply!

:blink:

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 14:56 »
it can be  many reasons your chicks fight as too many roosters so it could be a dominate issue. even in young.

2. bad genetics.

3. over crowding.
“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

xx
Normal chick behaviour after their sister chick dies?

Started by Katrishwa on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 22:11
by Katrishwa
xx
I'm still puzzling over two of my chicks as to what breed thay are... any ideas?

Started by Casey76 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 29, 2010, 19:41
by sarah f
xx
guess what breed this chick is - MY WHITE PEACOCK CHICK

Started by CMFAM on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 11:16
by CMFAM
xx
Odd behaviour?

Started by Carolf on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 01, 2011, 13:47
by Carolf

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 38 queries.