Not perching?

• 3 Replies

darcyhen

Not perching?
« on: October 14, 2010, 19:22 »
Hi,
My small hen Lucy has raised three Brahma pullets from egg. The pullets are about 8 weeks I think and they all still go to bed together. They all sit on the next box ledge and dont perch in the main bit of the henhouse.

I am going to put back the dividers but from memory Lucy has always slept in the nest box. She lays there too.

I dont mind except it gets very dirty and I end up cleaning it out every day. Also quite damp.

Any advice?

Michelle

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
Re: Not perching?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 20:03 »
My girls won't roost either, they are now a year old. The only thing I do is put a piece of wood in to stop them getting access to their nestbox at night (otherwise they would all cram in there!). They all sleep on the floor in the house nice and snuggled, which to be fair is exactly what I would be doing at the moment! Just means that you have to get up early in a morning to move the wood so they can leay, not really an issue with these mornings at the moment though!  :(

Steve

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 21:03 »
the best way is to block the nest box off and then lift them onto perches when they are sleepy. You may have to do this for a couple of weeks until they get the idea.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Tiggersmate

• New chicks out for their first walk with mum
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 18:49 »
My girls all used to perch and there are various heights but they all have suddenly starting snuggling up together either on the floor or on top of the nest boxes. I assume it's just a phase as there does not appear to be any particular reason and they are all quite happy to go to bed, maybe they are just snuggling up with the latest chicks that have joined them  ::)
Hooked on chooks !

xx
Perching.

Started by cheshirecat on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post September 26, 2009, 10:45
by Oliveview
xx
Perching

Started by Silkysmooth on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 03, 2010, 09:18
by Casey76
xx
perching

Started by jackb256 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 15:33
by knittywittywoo
xx
Perching help please?

Started by flangey on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 18:49
by SMD66

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 39 queries.