Is this normal behaviour?

• 5 Replies

Nancyandthegirls

Is this normal behaviour?
« on: August 07, 2015, 15:33 »
We rescued two bantams a week ago that were abandoned in our local woods. Got attached to them fairly rapidly so decided to keep them and 'go for it'. They have a lovely new coop and a big run. Basically, they are not eating very much and seem to have stopped today. Also, they are both pulling out their feathers, one more than the other. I have treated the coop with DE powder very liberally, even though it is brand new, just to be on the safe side.
I am going to attempt to dust them thoroughly later today and try to get them to eat some Verm-x.
My main question is that they are just sitting down now, after running about a bit this morning, and look like they are going to sleep. Is this normal or are they ill? Oh, and they haven't laid any eggs yet but I am not too worried about that as they are probably pretty stressed.
Sorry, but I am VERY new to all this!

ghost61

Re: Is this normal behaviour?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 16:58 »
 They may be moulting, rather than pulling their feathers out.  If they are, then when they preen, the feathers come out.  Give them a boost with some tonic in their water, and extras like sunflower seeds that help feather replacement.  When mine moult they don't eat a lot and are quite miserable, sitting and staring at walls or hiding in the undergrowth.  It may be that the change in their care has brought on the moult, if things haven't improved in a couple of weeks, then I'd try worming them too, but I would avoid that if they are moulting - mine can go on for weeks though so just keep a watch on them.

Let us know how you get on.

Nancyandthegirls

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 20:16 »
Thanks ghost61!
I did wonder if they could be moulting but wasn't sure if it was too early yet. I have been giving them organic and unfiltered ACV in their water and they seem to like that. Of course, after writing my post they perked up and have been 'normal' all day. I think they're testing me! I guess it's just a matter of me getting to know what their general habits are and not to get worried but keep an eye on them.
Much obliged for your input!

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 03:08 »
A couple of mine tend to look really poorly when in moult but only for a few days. Our run looks like a pillow factory at the moment, multicoloured feathers everywhere and very few eggs.

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 09:07 »
Thanks ghost61!
I did wonder if they could be moulting but wasn't sure if it was too early yet. I have been giving them organic and unfiltered ACV in their water and they seem to like that. Of course, after writing my post they perked up and have been 'normal' all day. I think they're testing me! I guess it's just a matter of me getting to know what their general habits are and not to get worried but keep an eye on them.
Much obliged for your input!

You may already be doing this but only give ACV for a few days a month. Its always worth checking for lice especially around their vents. I'm sure they will settle in time  :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Helenaj

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 19:54 »
A couple of mine tend to look really poorly when in moult but only for a few days. Our run looks like a pillow factory at the moment, multicoloured feathers everywhere and very few eggs.

Three quarters of my flock are in moult (24 of them!) - I'm taking orders for quilts for this winter! Oh and I have got 3 murderous broodies that my husband is afraid of, so I'm the one with beak cuts up my forearms!

Total egg count today = 4 :(

question
Odd behaviour or normal?

Started by tortzblue on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 05, 2012, 15:48
by Dopey113
xx
Strange behaviour? or normal?

Started by woodburner on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 23, 2009, 11:54
by treacleminer
xx
Normal chook behaviour?

Started by Diddy Gardener on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 11:18
by Diddy Gardener
xx
Normal chick behaviour after their sister chick dies?

Started by Katrishwa on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 22:11
by Katrishwa

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 38 queries.