Cleaning chicken run

• 6 Replies

colliebird

• Experienced Member
Cleaning chicken run
« on: April 02, 2009, 10:54 »
My hens have a very big grass run, well mostly not grass now  :(
With the warm weather it is beginning to smell a bit.  How do you clean a very big grass run?
They sometimes free range in the garden (when my dogs are behind closed gates on the terrace, or indoors).

Thanks

Valerie
Valerie

"The moral progress of a nation can be judged by the way it treats its animals" - Gandhi

poultrygeist

Re: Cleaning chicken run
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 12:19 »
Hi valerie.

The only way really is to dig it over a bit, sprinkle garden lime over it and fork it in then water it.
The birds should kept off for a few days while it dissolves and works in. The smell is because the ground become acidic and ferments in some way.
The lime neutralises it and allows the poo to decompose normally. Maybe you could fence off half and do it half at a time ?

Rob 8)

colliebird

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 12:59 »
Thanks for that Rob.  I can fence the run into two sections, no problem, but digging it over won't be an easy task!!!!  and if I got a rotivator that would turn the run into a quagmire if
we got a spate of rain.  Any suggestions? ???
When you say fork it over, is rake it over the same?  Sorry if I sound dumb but I've never
had hens in a run before. 
The deep bedding of shavings in the hen house doesn't smell at all.  I've just kept adding
shavings, and when we get a few good dry days I'll empty and burn it all and renew with more deep shavings.

Valerie

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 13:05 »
Thanks for that Rob.  I can fence the run into two sections, no problem, but digging it over won't be an easy task!!!!  and if I got a rotivator that would turn the run into a quagmire if
we got a spate of rain.  Any suggestions? ???
When you say fork it over, is rake it over the same?  Sorry if I sound dumb but I've never
had hens in a run before. 
The deep bedding of shavings in the hen house doesn't smell at all.  I've just kept adding
shavings, and when we get a few good dry days I'll empty and burn it all and renew with more deep shavings.

Valerie

I would think raking would be fine. As long as you can get a good handfull of lime into each square meter so the pH rises it's going to improve. Our run is covered and tends to get 'crusty' so we fork it over now and then to get air into the soil. Also helps them to find worms too ! :)

But that's the reason for the smell and it will only get worse. It's something you might need to do to a smaller section in rotation to keep it fresh. Bit like the Forth bridge  :D

Good luck

Rob 8)

colliebird

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 18:03 »

[/quote]

I would think raking would be fine. As long as you can get a good handfull of lime into each square meter so the pH rises it's going to improve. Our run is covered and tends to get 'crusty' so we fork it over now and then to get air into the soil. Also helps them to find worms too ! :)

But that's the reason for the smell and it will only get worse. It's something you might need to do to a smaller section in rotation to keep it fresh. Bit like the Forth bridge  :D

Good luck

Rob 8)
[/quote]

I've just been to Phillips Agricultural merchants and they've never heard of it.  Where would I buy garden lime, from a garden centre?   :unsure:

Valerie

poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 18:35 »
Yup  :)

Got mine from B&Q.  ;)

Rob 8)

colliebird

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 19:34 »
Yup  :)

Got mine from B&Q.  ;)

Rob 8)

Well thanks again Rob  :D  That's where I'll be going tomorrow to get some.

xx

Valerie

dog with chickens.gif

xx
Cleaning chicken houses

Started by Stemar on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2016, 02:49
by Cameron231
xx
cleaning chicken hutch

Started by fiano60 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 19, 2011, 21:15
by fiano60
xx
Cleaning out the chicken house

Started by Evansent on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 25, 2008, 10:28
by Jellyhead
xx
cleaning around chicken house

Started by Ginarina on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 01, 2011, 23:14
by Lindeggs

Page created in 0.265 seconds with 32 queries.