FREEBEES!!!! - No really this time!

• 26 Replies

Kate and her Ducks

Re: FREEBEES!!!! - No really this time!
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2013, 22:50 »
They were very gentle with me so hopefully they are nice bees (the ones where they are meant to be weren't so happy to see me!). Checked over the comb that I had to remove and some of it had eggs in it so the queen is laying already. Hopefully she didn't come to any harm, will just have to wait and see. At least next time I can have a nice gentle look through and see what's what.

I'm a very happy girl tonight.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

BobE

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2013, 22:56 »
Ive heard that the so called "Solitary bee" is very gentle.  They don't hive alone, I don't know why they are called solitary.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 23:24 »
They were very gentle with me so hopefully they are nice bees (the ones where they are meant to be weren't so happy to see me!). Checked over the comb that I had to remove and some of it had eggs in it so the queen is laying already. Hopefully she didn't come to any harm, will just have to wait and see. At least next time I can have a nice gentle look through and see what's what.

I recently sold a wooden coop to a man who has bees and he told me that it is down to the queen how the bees behave.  When he gets angry bees he replaces the queen with a newly hatched one from a calm hive and this calms the bees down.  I might have misunderstood how he gets the new queen but you probably know what I mean.   :unsure:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 23:45 »
Yep! That's what you do if they are mean bees!

ANHBUC

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 23:47 »
You will be able to take a queen from the happy hive to the angry hive then.   :)

BobE

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2013, 23:49 »
You will be able to take a queen from the happy hive to the angry hive then.   :)

Wouldn't you need an extra queen?

ANHBUC

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 23:51 »

Wouldn't you need an extra queen?

I recently sold a wooden coop to a man who has bees and he told me that it is down to the queen how the bees behave.  When he gets angry bees he replaces the queen with a newly hatched one from a calm hive and this calms the bees down.  I might have misunderstood how he gets the new queen but you probably know what I mean.   :unsure:
;)

BobE

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2013, 23:59 »
Oh, I thought there was only one queen to a hive.  How would you get a newly hatched one?

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 00:01 »
There are a number of ways of doing it. You can take eggs from a nice hive (with a nice queen who lays nice eggs) and put them in the mean hive having found and killed the mean queen. The mean bees will raise a new queen from the eggs who will hopefully be happy. Or you can buy a new queen and introduce her to the hive (having killed the old queen).

It's all a bit like an episode of the Tudors!

BobE

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2013, 00:03 »
So, any egg can become a queen?
Sounds like an episode from the Borg (Star Trek)

Trillium

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2013, 00:46 »
Any egg that the bees decide to fee royal jelly to will become a queen. They'll do anywhere from 3 to 7 queen eggs and the first one out will destroy the others (if she can get to them).

BobE

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 00:50 »
Any egg that the bees decide to fee royal jelly to will become a queen. They'll do anywhere from 3 to 7 queen eggs and the first one out will destroy the others (if she can get to them).

Thanks Trillium, it definatly sounds like the Borg.
What time is it in Canada?

xx
Spider Time.

Started by NormandyMary on Pets without Feathers

11 Replies
Last post October 07, 2010, 16:12
by Flowerpower136
xx
first time to rabbits

Started by asd1 on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post January 15, 2011, 16:16
by Mulberry1990
xx
We,ve decided its time

Started by taytors on Pets without Feathers

49 Replies
Last post June 14, 2013, 18:24
by maxibo
xx
Pigs for the first time

Started by Daftodil on Pets without Feathers

13 Replies
Last post August 11, 2009, 06:07
by Potiron

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 32 queries.