How to win a 2nd plot - opinions

• 14 Replies

DHM

• Experienced Member
How to win a 2nd plot - opinions
« on: January 13, 2020, 08:27 »
Hi all. We have a 6 rod plot which while just about big enough for us, leaves no room for fruit trees and bushes so had our eye on a plot opposite (slightly smaller) which wasnt being kept up. We rejoined the waiting list last Feb.

Our site is large (450+ plots) and while the waiting list is supposed to be long, we got our allotment after about 2 or 3 months.

Thing is we've asked 3 times now if we can take this other plot but the society has ignored us and I can't see why.

Last year our plot was full though being a family plot, 25% of it is paved with a small pond, table and BBQ, all within the rules, but I wonder if its this is whats stopping us i.e. they dont think we're utilising enough of our existing plot? This area does contain Rhubarb and sunflowers and the pallets around it have passionflower, clematis, jasmin and honeysuckle growing through them. Without that family area it doesnt work as well with young children so we'd like to keep it.

Ive heard the pair opposite had notice served and they did a bit of clearing and used it store a greenhouse frame (then nothing) but it doesnt look like its been allocated to anyone else yet. A friend at another part of the site was served with eviction having not done enough so it looks like they evict in Jan then reallocate in May. Is there anything we can do to ensure we bag this plot as others have managed to get 2nd and 3rd plots, and we've missed an allocation despite being on the waiting list again. Perhaps we just havent been on site long enough yet...

Any advice/thoughts appreciated.

Many thanks.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: How to win a 2nd plot - opinions
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 09:19 »
Perhaps it is just that there are people who have been on the waiting list longer than you, whether for first or an extra plot?

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 09:38 »
Perhaps it is just that there are people who have been on the waiting list longer than you, whether for first or an extra plot?

This is the thing, they said originally the waiting list was 12 months but I and others were offered ours in 2-3 months so thought the 12 month thing was just to manage expectations.

It may be that they prioritise so newcomers get 1st dibs then established allotmenteers next. Many of our neighbours have been onsite for 20 years plus so maybe that gets them some exclusivity for further plots, we've only been on coming up 2 years in May. If that was the case I'd rather they explained that than simply ignore our request. We have been back on the waiting list now nearly a year...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 11:28 »
It may be that they prioritise so newcomers get 1st dibs then established allotmenteers next

If it's any consolation - and I don't think it is actually written down anywhere, but that's what happens here.

Is the site Council run? if so you could ask them nicely ;) how they normally do things.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 12:24 »
It may be that they prioritise so newcomers get 1st dibs then established allotmenteers next

If it's any consolation - and I don't think it is actually written down anywhere, but that's what happens here.

Is the site Council run? if so you could ask them nicely ;) how they normally do things.

The land is owned by the council but run/administwred by the society which seems to be a seperate entity, with its own committee etc. They run a number of other sites too so I can imagine its a bit of a nightmare when it comes to matching people with plots, but it only takes a minute to reply to an email.

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 14:00 »
Ask for it the policy to be placed/discussed/agreed at the next AGM. My allotment will give current allotment holders to increase from half a plot to a full one (i.e. a maximum of one full plot per household whilst there is a waiting list), providing that they have managed their current plot well, above any on the waiting list. My view and not universally popular is that the waiting list is the Council's problem to supply enough plots not the allotment association to divide plots into halves/thirds to reduce the list.

wolveryeti

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 17:01 »
Find out who's in charge of giving out plots. Schmooze them. Will probably help if you get involved with the communal stuff to improve your rep.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 19:39 »
Find out who's in charge of giving out plots. Schmooze them. Will probably help if you get involved with the communal stuff to improve your rep.

That wouldn't work on our sites.  We operate a strict policy of applying the waiting list in turn.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

TonyB.

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 15:17 »
You say it is run by the "committee" . Do they organise site working days or social events etc? If so - Volunteer and attend, butter up to the committee.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 18:01 »
You say it is run by the "committee" . Do they organise site working days or social events etc? If so - Volunteer and attend, butter up to the committee.

They do but I don't have time to attend them unfortunately due to work and family commitments.

Probably the best way I can think of to butter them up is really having a cracking allotment and hoping they notice we're not another fly by night family...

GraciesGran

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 19:31 »
Have you been into the office to talk to them direct?  Sometimes face to face helps.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2020, 22:56 »
Have you been into the office to talk to them direct?  Sometimes face to face helps.

Yeah, just get the same line about the waiting list being long.  :(

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2020, 09:32 »

They do but I don't have time to attend them unfortunately due to work and family commitments.
You may have found the answer to your problem i.e. if you can't attend for the working days because you don't have the time they may realistically consider that you won't have the time to take on another plot and keep it maintained either.

Christine

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2020, 18:42 »
We as a committee do operate a strict list - name at the top first. But mikem also has a valid point - committee perception. Put yourself in the committee chair DHM and ask yourself if you look as if you have time for a second plot.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 18:43 by Christine »

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2020, 21:46 »
I hear you, we might look like we're overstretching ourselves... could be the case but our plot was fully cultivated in year 2 (the 1st full year) wheres the rules say you have to have 25% cultivated by year 1, 50% by year 2 and 100% by year 3, and thats also landscaping, building a PT and repairing the fencing. As for the socials and events, they're well attended but not everyone goes to them.

I think this year, I'll enter something into the show and do a couple if shifts in the site shop and see if that gets me an 'in'.

xx
Plot clearing advice. Opinions and advice valued.

Started by Devondumpling on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2017, 19:54
by snowdrops
xx
opinions on old seed please?

Started by Under The Hill on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 17, 2015, 10:56
by Kristen
xx
Looking for your opinions on my border veg

Started by ldavison10 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 12, 2008, 10:19
by compostqueen
xx
Roosters - Opinions Please

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 04, 2011, 06:46
by herbiegrowsbananas

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 55 queries.