Hen refusing to go to bed!

• 7 Replies

moomoos42

Hen refusing to go to bed!
« on: July 25, 2011, 10:11 »
Hi. I'm a little worried about one of my 4 hens, Agnes. she's suddenly refusing to join her sisters in the coop at night. She's taken to roosting on the outside perch and when i go to shut them up i have to pick her up and put her in the coop with the others.
 I don't know if this has anything to do with it but over the last 2 weeks I've found 2 soft shell eggs and one egg with no shell. this last one was in the nesting box with 4 others, which means 5 eggs from 4 chickens! but since this i've only been getting 3 eggs a day. I can't be sure it's Aggie but she doen't seem her usual self .  What should i do? Thank you. :unsure:

Casey76

Re: Hen refusing to go to bed!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 10:28 »
If this is a new behaviour, then I would check your coop for signs of unwanted visitors.  If hens are getting nibbles on during the night, they feel uncomfortable about sleeping in the coop.

Mites and lice, especially red mite are very small, and hard to see.  you can check for red mite, by sliding a piece of white paper into the nooks and crannies (especially perch ends).  If the paper comes out smeared with red then you have an infestation :(

moomoos42

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 22:01 »
There's no sign of redmite. I clean the coop every day and dust every 6 weeks.
I left shutting them up tonight until it was dark thinking she might go in later if given time. but she had gone to roost on the outside perch.
the other 3 gal's were all quite happy in the coop.
do you think if laying the strange eggs caused her pain that could be why she wont go to bed?
If i take the outside perch away do you think that might help?
I'm realy worried about her :(

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 07:31 »
I suggest just persist on picking her up and putting her to bed.

I once went a few weeks when I had a whole line of bantam dottes roosting on the fence rather than indoors.  I had to pick them up every night and put them to bed, but it was very warm at the time.

Now that it's cooler, they are happier to put them selves to bed properly.

moomoos42

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 20:54 »
Thank you. She layed another soft shell today, all strunched up. she also had egg round her beak so i guess she ate the contents. i can see her sitting on the outside perch now so i'm going to put her in :)

Flossiej

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 21:54 »
Hi I also have one lady who is happily walking around the run muttering to herself long after the other girls have put themselves to bed. I have been picking her up and putting her to bed the last three nights which she doesnt seem to mind. She seems well in herself and has only just started laying so I am wondering if this is the reason. Prior to her coming into lay she was the first one to bed at night. It's funny when I open the coop to pop her in though as the other girls leave a gap for her on the perch now.
Hope your lady sorts herself out soon keep us posted.
One husband, three teenage sons, one completely blonde dog, two scatty cats, five nutty chooks and an uninvited mole!

moomoos42

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 18:21 »
Good news, Agnes went to bed last night :D she also laid a normal egg this morning, although it still feels lighter than the others and is white. Do you think worming them helped? can only one chicken be effected? i will now worm them every 3 months!! ::)

Flossiej

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 22:05 »
Well after four nights of being put to bed, our night bird has taken the hint and gone to bed with the others tonight. Glad to hear your girl has sorted her bed time out as well.

xx
refusing to lay in box...?

Started by celtbhoy on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 19, 2009, 07:38
by SMD66
xx
New hens refusing to go to bed

Started by Robert on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 08, 2008, 11:44
by blossom1044
xx
Refusing to part with egg!

Started by EggBound on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post March 13, 2009, 10:59
by EggBound
xx
Hen refusing to prech with others

Started by kizza on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 01, 2007, 22:36
by muntjac

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 36 queries.