Sudden cat stress problem.

• 2 Replies

Goosegirl

Sudden cat stress problem.
« on: October 04, 2020, 12:39 »
We moved to a new home at the beginning of July and our cats had a litter tray plus access to the outside via the back door. We got an electronic cat flap put in the back door and weaned them off the tray so they could go outside when they wanted and all's been mostly fine. Our very nervous Amber got used to it in no time although the other two females were still a bit hesitant. Yesterday one of them weed on the carpet by the front door - something she has never done since we got her several years ago, and today she poohed on the inside doormat by the back door. On the odd occasion my OH has seen a large black cat around, but Amber and our other cat haven't had any indoor accidents. It's just happened all of a sudden and I don't know why and what to do for the best.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

jambop

Re: Sudden cat stress problem.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 21:32 »
This can be a problem when a cat is quite suddenly put into an unfamiliar situation. I think that in the fullness of time things will return to normal. I would try a bit of extra attention lavished on the the wee mite both inside the house and outside in the garden to instill a feeling of confidence; I know our two react when something changes in the garden generally a new cat on the block is the reason.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: Sudden cat stress problem.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 23:28 »
It sounds like a stress reaction to the threat of another cat to me as well. Your cat may feel unsafe to venture out to do her business but most likely the position by the entrance is a message marker 'this is my territory'. Cats live in a world where scent is very important and they use it to define boundaries and conditions. Subtle scents from head rubs, stronger from marking by spraying and the ultimate billboard of dung.
Always worth keeping an eye on who is doing it in case it is a physical health problem.
You can get pheromones like Feliway that may help or supplements like Zylkene. Moggy valium.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

xx
Cat with a gum problem

Started by John on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post December 05, 2009, 12:41
by John
question
Cat problem :(

Started by mumofstig on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post June 16, 2019, 14:42
by snowdrops
xx
I think I have a problem... :-)

Started by Nicki85 on Pets without Feathers

12 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 22:41
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Bumble Bee Problem??

Started by Jae Dawn on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post April 18, 2012, 22:24
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 41 queries.