When should I plant my garlic?

• 42 Replies

rowan57

• Experienced Member
Re: When should I plant my garlic?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 16:58 »
I shall plant mine around the end of October, worked for me last year :)

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 20:13 »
I just used some of my garlic for dinner and I notice that the cloves have a green bit in the middle, so they are starting to sprout already. I've separated out the biggest cloves (not necessarily the biggest bulbs, I notice) and put them into modules.  Do you think I should put them outside or in the greenhouse?
Anne

Steveharford

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 10:57 »
Just received my Provence wight and Albigensian from the garlic farm. Lovely big bulbs I must say. But the they ain't cheap !
They say prep the ground in September. Plant October November. Which is what I always do. Spring planting is shown as early as jan through to April at the latest.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2013, 11:59 »
Just received my Provence wight and Albigensian from the garlic farm. Lovely big bulbs I must say. But the they ain't cheap !

I think it pays to buy good quality first time around, i.e. if you are planning to keep & replant your own in future years (assuming it remains disease free :) )

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 12:52 »
As my harvest was so dire this year, I ordered more bulbs from Marshalls.
When they arrived one set had really huge cloves and the other was small and shrivelled  :(

I got straight on the phone and they immediately agreed to send a replacement pack, no hassle.

Brilliant after sales service IMO - well done Marshalls!

Steveharford

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2013, 12:56 »

I think it pays to buy good quality first time around, i.e. if you are planning to keep & replant your own in future years (assuming it remains disease free :) )
I agree - and these do look very good with lots of large plump cloves. Hopefully that will be true of the inside ones too. I will also be using the larger cloves from my my saved ones from this years harvest.

edit to clarify quote
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 13:19 by mumofstig »

muckyboots

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2013, 13:17 »
Hi,I planted my garlic last year in oct .The results were a bit on the small side but plenty of top growth but no rust witch is good.Any tips for feeding, I use chicken pellets dug in then occasional soluble feed.(Didn't work this year) :(

Steveharford

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2013, 15:40 »
Nothing special really. Just the usual chicken pellets before planting then a dressing of BFB in the spring and any ash from the Barbie as and when it occurs. Having said that I am starting an extra garlic bed this year and have just bought some compost and sand from bnq which I will be mixing together then spreading over the bed. Probably going to do it for my onions too. We are on clay so drainage is essential.

wighty

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2013, 19:48 »
I went to the Garlic Farm for lunch today, treat by a friend as it was quite expensive in their café ,and they are only turning over the field at the moment ready to plant.  I was a bit annoyed as they had a chart up about how much garlic they are now exporting! (I don't know whether that means to England (sorry Islander  coming out there)  or elsewhere) a bit like the church steeple repair fund charts you see.  Not trying to put anyone off buying my Island's produce but didn't like it. 

Steveharford

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2013, 20:03 »
Not quite sure where you're coming from there Wighty. Just imagine if they are exporting to France. They have every right to be smug :-)
Did you perchance notice how they were prepping the ground? I. E what fertiliser etc they were putting on? Cheers. Steve

Totty

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2013, 20:50 »
It is pricey to buy for growing, but managed to get 2.5kilo of Thermidrome for 17 quid. Might be able to grow enough to last the year this time round.

Totty

Steveharford

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2013, 20:56 »
That doesn't sound such a bad deal totty. Have you grown it before. I had great hopes for thermidrome this year but it was a complete disaster, each bulb being no larger than a clove which was split into several individual cloves no bigger than a pea. I would love to know what I did wrong as they were right next to my Albigensian which did extremely well. Strange

Totty

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2013, 22:14 »
Not grown before. Gonna give it a go though. Worth a shout at that price.

Totty

Ema

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2013, 22:27 »
Last winter I put my garlic in modules because I didnt yet have my plot, I planted them out in spring.

While this worked fine and I certainly got a good harvest

I noticed while harvesting the garlic I noticed how soggy the compost from the modules was in comparison with the surrounding soil, I wont be growing them in modules again because of this

Sparkyrog

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2013, 22:31 »
My worry about garlic in modules is they may not be deep enough
I cook therefore I grow

xx
Too wet to plant Garlic?

Started by Urbanite on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 22, 2015, 14:24
by marcofez
xx
garlic and when can i plant it please

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 12, 2011, 16:39
by chrissie B
xx
What to plant with garlic?

Started by Greendream on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 13, 2008, 17:02
by Greendream
xx
What to plant after garlic

Started by rainie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 20, 2009, 08:02
by corndolly

Page created in 0.419 seconds with 40 queries.