Compost Review 2024

• 21 Replies

AndyRVTR

Compost Review 2024
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2024, 07:14 »
Brand: Miracle Grow Peat Free Multipurpose.
Price: £4.99 per 50ltr @ Homebargains.
Score: 6/10

My first time using PF compost and I'm quite disappointed with this brand, texture wise, it's very, bitty and not totally composted with twigs, stones and bits of plastic in it. Most of my sowings have grown but I've found this dries out very quickly and can form a 'crust' if not watered regular as clockwork!
Would I buy it again..... No!
20240407_071109_copy_1041x1849.jpg
20240407_071113_copy_1041x1849.jpg
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 13:39 by AndyRVTR »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Compost Review 2024
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2024, 09:41 »
I’ve invested in some Westland seed sowing compost. It was on a deal at my local Tesco a while back, so got 4.  You will have to shop around to get the best current deal as I think it is back up to £4.99 a bag.

So far just peppers, chillies, toms and a couple of floral bits sown in it, but I think a worthwhile investment for expensive or picky seeds.

For everyday I have come to the conclusion that all the peat frees are pretty awful unless you pay a premium, so have found my own mix. I know not everyone wants to pre-mix, but it’s affordable for me and so far working well. I got a couple of B&Q own brand 100l bags, which look’s exactly the same as Andy’s Miracle Grow, some cheap small coir blocks from EBay, some John Innes no 2 and just basic Growmore. 50/50 peat-free and re-hydrated coir, a few good handfuls of JI no 2 until it feels like it has a bit of body but not too heavy and a handful of fertiliser if I am potting on and want to get plants growing well.

First toms sown were a mini variety designed to grow indoors if need be. They are now in larger pots in my mix and I have a couple of fruits forming  :D If they are any good to eat they are on my list to save for the seed circle  :)

Piccies also of seed sowing compost and texture.
IMG_6207.jpeg
IMG_6208.jpg
IMG_6205.jpg
IMG_6206.jpg
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 09:47 by New shoot »

rowlandwells

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2024, 09:51 »
we have been growing seeds and potting on side by side using peat free and peat based we found although the peat free was growing alongside the peat based basically the same we noticed the pest free was drying out quicker than the peat based and the pants potted on in the peat compost where more stronger

we bought our peat compost that had been standing in the garden centre all winter so it was a bit of a hit and miss if the compost would be any good but its proven to make no effect on growing whatsoever and it was half the price of the peat free we have used around 10  bags of this brand Clover M/P  for spring sowings and potting on with no problems and no added nutrients

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2024, 16:26 »
I’ve invested in some Westland seed sowing compost. It was on a deal at my local Tesco a while back, so got 4.  You will have to shop around to get the best current deal as I think it is back up to £4.99 a bag.

For everyday I have come to the conclusion that all the peat frees are pretty awful unless you pay a premium, so have found my own mix. I know not everyone wants to pre-mix, but it’s affordable for me and so far working well. I got a couple of B&Q own brand 100l bags, which look’s exactly the same as Andy’s Miracle Grow, some cheap small coir blocks from EBay, some John Innes no 2 and just basic Growmore. 50/50 peat-free and re-hydrated coir, a few good handfuls of JI no 2 until it feels like it has a bit of body but not too heavy and a handful of fertiliser if I am potting on and want to get plants growing well.

I have taken note of this for next year-v helpful. I'm using Jack's magic peat compost for sowing which I bought at the end of last year (I love it!) and very sad to see the end of it as I know it. 

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2024, 20:31 »
This year I have used the John Innis seed compost for sowing and that has worked well for me.
Local GC was around £3 a bag.
I also bought some New Horizon and I can hand on heart say this is the worst compost I have used, the seedlings went yellow within a couple of days.

I have gone back to one I have used before with good results...
Jack's Magic which is a reduced peat compost. Plants healthy an d strong.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 20:33 by Aidy »
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2024, 10:15 »
Bought red bag Levington and it's rubbish. Far too course for any seed starting

I got new horizon last year from morrisons when they sold them off cheap at £2.50 a bag and it was really good but I've used it all

I think the consistency even in the same brand is still terrible. I suspect a lot of brands are just contracted out in lots, so no one knows what you actually get

AndyRVTR

« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 06:37 »
After buying Miracle Grow a few weeks ago, I vowed never to buy it again so I've been looking for an alternative. A friend suggested I try Clover Irish peat mpc instead, so after a bit of googling I found a local allotment society near me and picked up half a dozen bags at the princely sum of a fiver a bag (60l)!
Wow!! what a difference!! it's so fine with no 'bits' in it and I could quite easily use it for seed sowing without even sieving it. As peat free compost is being banned by the end of the year, I'm now looking for a company that can supply & deliver me a pallet load that I can store for future use!

xx
banning peat based compost 2024

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post November 17, 2023, 19:06
by Yorkie
xx
Review!

Started by Greendream on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 21:22
by Greendream
xx
Mid season review

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post August 01, 2021, 06:11
by Growster...
xx
Mid term review

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 06, 2023, 09:51
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 47 queries.