banning peat based compost 2024

• 23 Replies

rowlandwells

Re: banning peat based compost 2024
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2023, 17:51 »
is fortunate that allotment clubs and allotment associations can bulk purchase compost's but for the everyday home gardener that will end up paying top price its not that exiting  you will find most of the garden centres are selling there composts all about the same price and I take the point that there are some peat free composts out there that are giving good growing results at a price

as  most of the premium brands of peat free are more costly than the peat based and to be honest when the peat ban comes in we will be limited to buying peat free at I would suggest at higher price than your paying now

we are still paying £17.00 for 3 60LTR bags of peat based possibly until the stock runs out but I have to say the best peat free I've used was with added John inns but it was way above the price I expected to pay for a bag of compost

so come 2024 its peat free or nothing unless you make your own and all this coco coi coming half way across the world so much for the carbon footprint A :D

Growster...

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2023, 18:17 »
Peat is sustainable in Canada, so can be exported, rather like the coir stuff from Asia, which needs to be washed, sterilised etc., before being carted over here in huge diesel-powered ships at vast expense.

No wonder prices will hike!

Goosegirl

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2023, 08:55 »
Interesting take on that Growster. Never gave that a thought, but presumably the same will apply to both peat and peat-free compost. Would hydroponics be a viable option??  :unsure:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2023, 09:02 »
Interesting take on that Growster. Never gave that a thought, but presumably the same will apply to both peat and peat-free compost. Would hydroponics be a viable option??  :unsure:

I've often wondered about that, GG...

After all, the tomatoes you see in Tesco  huge hydroponic greenhouses in Thanet, (Thanet Earth), and there's not a tsp of soil anywhere to be seen!

I'm sure that a measure of soil in any mix brings huge differences to flavour, taste etc., so maybe a loam-based compost, with some sort of peat-like substance is the answer...

To me, the import of coir, after all its farming, cleansing and carting around around the world is an extravagant nod to the wrong sort of 'green' ethic, but there again, I tend to be more of a realist each day!

The peat based stuff in my compost heap will hopefully last for some time, as it will be recycled every year, and by the time it has finished, it may also be the time for me to be recycled as well..;0)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 09:03 by Growster... »

AnneB

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2023, 12:59 »
is fortunate that allotment clubs and allotment associations can bulk purchase compost's but for the everyday home gardener that will end up paying top price its not that exiting  you will find most of the garden centres are selling there composts all about the same price and I take the point that there are some peat free composts out there that are giving good growing results at a price

as  most of the premium brands of peat free are more costly than the peat based and to be honest when the peat ban comes in we will be limited to buying peat free at I would suggest at higher price than your paying now

we are still paying £17.00 for 3 60LTR bags of peat based possibly until the stock runs out but I have to say the best peat free I've used was with added John inns but it was way above the price I expected to pay for a bag of compost

so come 2024 its peat free or nothing unless you make your own and all this coco coi coming half way across the world so much for the carbon footprint A :D
Actually our allotment association is very small and we don't have any special discount, we don't order enough for that.  So we paid the best price we could find locally from someone who could deliver.  We paid the same as any member of the public. We bought 2 pallets worth.  It was mainly to help out tenants who do not have a car.

jezza

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2023, 19:22 »
Hello my mate grows a lot of bedding plants,the supplier he has in Edingburgh isnt allowed to sell plants with peat based compost below the Scottish border but can sell ad many as he can produce in Scotland,will another reliable renewable compost be banned in the near future LEAF MOLD ,the way councils are felling trees there soon wont be any trees left to produce leaves    jezza

snowdrops

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2023, 21:05 »
As our gardening clubs store manager, we have a trade account with a supplier of gardening supplies & purchase our composts from them. We can buy as many or as few bags as we want, which helps, I then add a bit of profit for the club. But realistically we can’t compete with the big garden centres etc n price, some members just buy from us to support the club or because it’s convenient. As for fertilisers etc we are much cheaper than most other places as we buy in in 25kg bags & decant into 2.5 kgs
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

R0b1et

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2023, 14:56 »
@Jezza
I think you are confusing banning and being unable to produce. That said, there's no shortage of leaves here.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2023, 19:06 »
As our gardening clubs store manager, we have a trade account with a supplier of gardening supplies & purchase our composts from them. We can buy as many or as few bags as we want, which helps, I then add a bit of profit for the club. But realistically we can’t compete with the big garden centres etc n price, some members just buy from us to support the club or because it’s convenient. As for fertilisers etc we are much cheaper than most other places as we buy in in 25kg bags & decant into 2.5 kgs

We have a similar approach. You're probably already aware that, with nitrochalk and I think potato fertiliser,  there are new regulations about certification before buying large quantities, and reporting of such sales by the association (if you do any). We need to read up on it too.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Compost help - what does peat based compost look like?

Started by cjskts on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 13:50
by hamstergbert
xx
peat free or added peat compost

Started by rachelsco on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 13:04
by shokkyy
exclamation
Peat in compost ?

Started by Matt31 on Grow Your Own

37 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 08:52
by Madame Cholet
xx
Peat-free compost...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post July 06, 2023, 05:52
by Growster...

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 44 queries.