Manure for the plot

• 6 Replies

Rangerkris

• My pic's
Manure for the plot
« on: August 30, 2009, 20:05 »
How much do you put down i can get as much as i need and wonder how deep a layer it should go down onto the bed, it is already well rotted.
Thanks
Kris

beansticks

Re: Manure for the plot
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 20:54 »
2 to 3 inches thick,evenly spread is what i aim for.It is possible to make your soil too acidic.

Terrier

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 21:10 »
If it's well rotted, put some in a pot and sow a few peas in it. If they grow then OK, if they look stunted or die off when they germinate, don't use it. There's been a lot of trouble using manure because of residues from industrial chemicals sprayed onto the land. On a lighter note, I've used so much horse manure on my plot over the years, it must be mostly manure by now and stuff still grows in it. When I checked the Ph of the soil at the beginning of this season, there was very little difference between my soil and a grow bag. Standard practice for growing squash / courgettes is to dig a hole, fill it full of manure and plant into it, so don't use it all up as mulch.  :D

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 01:13 »
If you're worried about increased acidity with manure, then throw on some ground limestone at the same time. Should mostly even things out.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 06:41 »
Thanks peep's

shay

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 08:15 »
I too have loads of manure however moving it is difficult, do I need to somehow declump it all or are the parts which are clumped no problem as they will still do their job? Plus do I test the soil pre manure or do I test it after winter?

Terrier

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 09:41 »
If you're worried about increased acidity with manure, then throw on some ground limestone at the same time. Should mostly even things out.

It's  not a good idea to use lime at the same time as manure as a chemical reaction between them can release nitrogen from the soil. Most veg likes a slightly acid soil anyway. Brassicas can be limed as they're growing by sprinkling it around the plants taking care not to let the lime touch the plant.
Shay, I would manure in the winter when you are not growing in it and Ph test it in spring. If you think it requires lime then do it a few weeks before planting.

xx
Manure opn the plot

Started by washsaint on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 13, 2008, 12:06
by WG.
xx
Fresh manure and my plot

Started by seeNeutral on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 16, 2009, 15:43
by seeNeutral
xx
Fresh Horse Manure on Plot?

Started by LMorgan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 23, 2009, 00:15
by LMorgan
xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 36 queries.