Twisted Hazel

• 2 Replies

katiekate

Twisted Hazel
« on: April 06, 2011, 19:38 »
Hello,

I'm lucky enough to have a twisted/corkscrew hazel tree on my plot. It's quite small, maybe 7 foot high and 3 foot spread. It produces a good crop of nuts and new shoots from the base. Does anyone know how to propergate a hazel? I have some nuts but no idea whether they need soaking/shelling before planting or even how long the expected germination time is?
Also what are he chance that they will produce a twisted hazel? -I have no idea if the tree has been grafted or not!

Trawling the net has yielded little useful info.. If anyone knows, it will be you guys!!

Thanks!!

solway cropper

Re: Twisted Hazel
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 23:01 »
They would grow from nuts but would take quite a long time to develop a tree. The best bet is to find a rooted shoot from the base of the tree, chop it off and re-plant although it's a bit late in the year to start doing that sort of thing. Hazel can also be propagated by layering.

Swing Swang

Re: Twisted Hazel
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 23:08 »
The 'corkscrew' is a mutation so I would also layer from a portion of the tree that has the properties that you want (occasionally you get a straight section, and this should not be used). I wouldn't grow from seed as hazels are cross pollinated so they probably won't grow true.

xx
Twisted beans (again)

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2012, 19:59
by Chrysalis
clip
Twisted onions from sets

Started by John Clarke on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 02, 2023, 06:50
by simon hughes
xx
Bubbling, twisted leaves (again)

6 Replies
Last post June 23, 2013, 20:11
by Aunt Sally
xx
Twisted misshapen leaves

3 Replies
Last post June 23, 2012, 20:32
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 38 queries.