1 Strawberry wine and 2 Pomegranate wines.

• 8 Replies

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
1 Strawberry wine and 2 Pomegranate wines.
« on: July 06, 2013, 09:40 »
Got my strawberry wine into a DJ this morning ... :happy:

So I thought why not make up a couple of Pomegranate wine. I did a gall last year and it was great.

"From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world."
–Saint Arnold of Metz, The patron Saint of Brewers

Beetroot queen

Re: 1 Strawberry wine and 2 Pomegranate wines.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 10:15 »
Looks great. Another daft question ( always me) fruit wine is alcoholic isnt it, but how alcoholic. We dont drink but that does look lovely.

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 11:40 »
Looks great. Another daft question ( always me) fruit wine is alcoholic isnt it, but how alcoholic. We dont drink but that does look lovely.

Yup...the Pom wine is very more'ish.. ;) .the wines I make turn out around 10% up to 14 /16% that's what I get when I test with my hydrometer.

Alcohol  is removed in the manufacturing stage using one of three different processes at cool temperatures to avoid damaging the wines. All the wines are ordinary alcoholic wines up to this point, so all the original characteristics are retained.

Steam Vacuum -  This process is done in a vacuum where vapourisation can be achieved at much lower temperatures. The wine therefore looses its alcohol but retains the characteristics and flavours that would be lost with normal boiling.

Reverse Osmosis - forces the wine through a filter under pressure to separate the alcohol from the rest of the wine.

Centrifugal Force - is used in some de-alcoholised wines to 'throw' the alcohol away from the wine through filters.

Now I don't think you'll go to these lengths, I know I won't.. :lol:..I've never given it much thought about making a low alcohol wine, the action of the yeast on the sugar is the very basics of wine & beer brewing, but I have found the following from an old book....

"This non alcoholic drink recipe is taken from the book "Dr. Chase's Third, Last and Complete Receipt Book, Memorial Edition" by Dr. Alvin Wood Chase, M.D., published by F. B. Dickerson Company, Detroit and Windsor, in 1891.

The juice of grapes, blackberries, raspberries, etc., pressed out without mashing the seeds, adding water, 1 pint, and sugar, 1/2 pound for each pint of the juice; then boil a few minutes, skimming if any sediment or scum rises, and bottling while hot, corking tightly, cutting off the corks, and dipping the tops into wax, and keeping in a dry, cool place, gives a wine that no one would object to, if iced when drank."

Bringing the juice to a boil for a few minutes would kill any wild yeast. Hope this helps.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 12:35 »
Wow very interesting thank you

Oakdalebirds1

• Experienced Member
  • 3 Girls need more......
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 11:01 »
whats the recipee your using for both wines please
3 girls .............very addictive these girls are becoming

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 12:16 »
Hi. this is a very basic recipe.

3 lbs. fresh strawberries
2 lbs. granulated sugar
2 tsp. citric acid
water to make 1 gallon
wine yeast & nutrient

Place all ingredients except yeast in bucket. Crush fruit with hands and cover with 5 pints boiling water. Stir with wooden paddle to dissolve sugar and simultaneously mash the strawberries. When cooled to 30c add yeast. Cover and stir daily. Strain on 7th day, transfer to DJ, top up to one gallon, fit fermentation trap, and set aside. Rack after 30 days and again after additional 30 days. Bottle when clear. Allow to age at least 6 months. Will improve to one year.
============================================================================

Pomegranate wine.

2 litre Pomegranate juice.
1 litre White Grape juice
800g Sugar.
1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon.
1 tsp Tannin or a mug of strong black tea.
1 tsp Yeast
1 tsp Nutrient.
1 tsp Pectolase.
1 tsp Glycerine

Pour the juices into a DJ, along with the citric acid, tannin, pectolase, and glycerine. What I do with the sugar is to mix with a small amount of boiling water, stir well and add to the DJ,  well cooled down to around 28/30c add the yeast, cork with an airlock.

Oakdalebirds1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 05:44 »
thanks for that .. i shall get started

Oakdalebirds1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 20:26 »
Is the Pom wine a fast wine ? And drunk early ? What the time from bottle to testing ?
Cheers for your help

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 13:48 »
Sorry been away for a week....the wine is ready to drink in a few months...but the longer you leave it the better it should get (trouble is we can't leave it that long) ::)

xx
Pomegranate wine !,

Started by Oakdalebirds1 on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post September 17, 2013, 06:21
by Oakdalebirds1
question
strawberry wine

Started by jenw on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post July 15, 2014, 20:14
by AnnieB
xx
Onto Strawberry Wine now

Started by fluffypebble on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post February 28, 2007, 20:13
by Sideways
xx
Tinned strawberry wine.

Started by Clampit on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post April 12, 2008, 19:47
by seadart

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 38 queries.