Weed membrane on paths

• 18 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Weed membrane on paths
« on: March 12, 2013, 20:09 »
I took over a weed jungle/mud bath and so had no beds or paths of any sort. There was lots and lots of scrap wood on the plot so I have edged beds so that they are set in place and I have paths around them. The plot is long and thin as are my beds so I can easily weed themed from the paths.

I am now thinking about the paths. The path between my plot snd the adjacent one I am making from stones i am digging out. For the rest I looked at wood chip (can't get any free) but that will be expensive and I don't want to use carpet or cardboard. Do I actually need to put anything on the paths? Does it matter if there are weeds on the paths? I could put some decent weed membrane down but then do I need to out something else on top or could I just use weed membrane?

HuwG

Re: Weed membrane on paths
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 20:18 »
Try builders sand/gravel bags for the paths. They are heavier than weed membrane. Look around for some tree surgeons and ask if they will delver to your plot as they normally have to pay to dispose of their shreadings

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 20:20 »
my neighbour has thick membrane pinned down inbetween her raised beds which works ok a bit pricy for me.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 20:30 »
The problem with weed membrane is that in an exposed place even if you peg it down the wind will lift it. My solution was weed membrane with gravel on top

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 20:47 »
I use weed membrane on my paths and get hold of free wood chippings when I can - so consequently have bare bits on the paths from time to time.  

I pick up ground sheet pegs from Poundland when I see them (like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-groundsheet-pegs-and-extractor-brand-new-in-packet-/111028703191?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19d9d38fd7).  They should be getting them in soon.  They are flat headed so you are less likely to trip up them.

I know you have already laid the edging around the beds, but I put the membrane down under the wood on my beds to help hold it down.

Huw's right - it took a while of me crazily pulling over when I saw a tree surgeon at work in neighbour's gardens and chatting them up (the children think I am mad!) but it has paid off.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 20:49 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 22:38 »

Do I actually need to put anything on the paths? Does it matter if there are weeds on the paths?
For my first year or two I made paths just by deciding places for them and then walking on them.  I dug or trod down out the tall weeds and left the flatter ones, strimmed them occasionally and it seemed to work.  But pretty untidy looking, so if you if you are a neat freak then you probably wont like it.  Also caused some questions when it came to plot inspection time. Also the paths over time seemed to spread into the bed, but that's probably just me not keeping up with the weeding.
Anne

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 18:11 »
Thanks, lots to think about. I have tried ringing round for wood chips and every one I have tried has wanted to charge what I consider ago be a stupid amount of money (it seems they can easily sell it round here though so £150+ is normal....). I am not a neat freak but hadn't thought if I would get told off for weedy paths

I have a really, really big pile of thin branches that have been trimmed from the trees and was originally dumped on my plot (it has now been moved across to the dumping area next to mine). I am half tempted to buy one of the cheap shredders from Argos etc for around £70 and make my own wood chips...

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 18:33 »
I have a really, really big pile of thin branches that have been trimmed from the trees and was originally dumped on my plot (it has now been moved across to the dumping area next to mine). I am half tempted to buy one of the cheap shredders from Argos etc for around £70 and make my own wood chips...

I do this with my prunings in autumn.  Although at the plot, I simply cut up prunings into one inch chunks straight onto the path!

Have you tried the local council?  Very often, if you have parks, they have tonnes of shreddings available and are happy to be rid of it.  Keep plugging, free supplies are out there.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 20:20 »
I tried our council but they are very efficient and reuse their woodchips :(

I am going to give serious thought to the making my own idea- I am sure a 6ft high and 8ft wide pile will make quite a lot of chips....

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 20:23 »
Although I have just realised that power will be an issue - no electricity and petrol ones are too dear for my budget :(

Herb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 21:05 »
Have you considered hiring a chipper?

A day's use of a petrol chipper would get you sorted - especially if you could collect some branches beforehand.

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 21:26 »
i broght some of this thought it was a good price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2m-x-25m-100g-Weed-Control-Free-Pegs-Ground-Cover-Membrane-Landscape-Fabric-/111012095927?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Fertiliser_CV&hash=item19d8d627b7

also put an add on freecycle as wanted (need for free) about the wood chipping you never know someone might get in contact. at my sight there are three different company's that drop some of when they are in the area. i wouldn't pay for them as i think if i am right that they get charge to get rid of the stuff (i could be wrong).

might have to check out the pound shop for tent/anchor pegs for the weed Membrane.

:)
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

yaxley

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 21:56 »
Dont give up ..Try looking on gumtree ,preloved for free chippings eventually you will find someone that will be more than willing to deliver free woodchips for you ...
Grow organic as nature intended

cadalot

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 06:33 »
Keep a look out on free cycle - I have picked up kerb edging blocks and two weeks ago 17 number 450x450mm grey paving slabs  to add to those I have already collected, which I have used to go around my shed and create a little retaining wall.
02-03-2013 (04) - S.jpg
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 06:35 by cadalot »

grendel

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 08:40 »
I have done similar with freecycle paving in my garden.
Grendel
IMG_3186 (Small).JPG
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

xx
best weed control membrane

Started by springy on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post September 05, 2014, 17:53
by Kristen
xx
Weed membrane - your advice please

Started by suziet88 on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post August 10, 2012, 12:09
by jesters3
xx
Weed membrane - roll size

Started by Snoop on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post January 31, 2015, 20:02
by Snoop
xx
Membrane. That allowed water through.

Started by cc on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post August 02, 2019, 22:37
by cc

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 35 queries.