Does anyone actually grow any edible veg?

• 27 Replies

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 12:24 »
or like we did last week, pop the the plot to water and took the camping stove and made fried egg butties with a coffee and chill

peanut97

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 12:35 »
Thanks for the info about the tender shoots, I am going to try the plastic bottles over the top until they are bigger, that sounds easy and cheap! I just hope they don't eat the crops when the bottles come off but it buys  me time to make more fences anyway.

I read somewhere about chilli spray on plants you don't eat, like beans etc. You can't use it on salad or cabbages etc, cos you would taste the chilli. Anyone had any success with that?

wellingtons

For me it is about growing the veg ...
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2007, 12:43 »
... I don't actually mind if my crop isn't prolific, but the absolute satisfaction of eating the bean when all I did ( :shock: OK I've got selective memory clearly ...  :lol: ) was put a seed in the ground is fantastic!

It doesn't have anything to do with getting away from the quick fix consumerism society in which we live ... for my sins I fit right into that society I'm afraid.

It's also about getting outdoors, doing something in the fresh air.  I have small surburban garden, which I can keep in order in a couple of hours a week max.  I spend a lot less time in the gym in the summer, because of my plot ... which is a good thing!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2007, 13:09 »
Yes hope is a good thing, but if you lose crop after crop every year to the blasted rabbits and other pests, hope dies, so IMHO, yes, getting an edible crop is very important.  after all, its why most of us do it, otherwise, we could just stick flowers in and watch them grow as the rabbits don't eat flowers!

Mind you, saying that, we are lucky, the few rabbits we've had gets chased off and possible eaten by the dog, as do the rats, mice, moles, voles and anything else that ventures into the garden.  Funny though, she never touches the chickens or the cat!!!

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2007, 13:44 »
If the rabbits are eating your crops I think its only right for you to eat the rabbits! That way you will be eating your crops albeit indirectly!
Get a gun or a snare and 'harvest' them instead... in fact you could sell some at a farmer's market...well its a plan.

A friend at work has rabbits plaguing his plot... he got some steel mesh and buried it 12 inches down (its 36 inches high) around his plot border to keep the rabbits out!!! worked  a treat.
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature? the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. -   Rachel Carson

ClaireMc

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2007, 14:07 »
Firstly - sympathy.  I'm a novie lottie-holder and just waiting for the first pest-related trauma.

Secondly - our allotments used to be completely overrun and were actually falling into disuse because of rabbits.   Then the Committee started to supply rabbit-proof fencing and voila - allotment renaissance.

It's cheap metal fencing which is, obvioulsy, sunk into the perimeter of each plot and is completely effective.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2007, 14:12 »
we have LOADS of rabbits at the  far end of the site and fingers crossed they stay there as well...

WG.

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2007, 14:17 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
... rabbits don't eat flowers

Oh yes they do.  :cry:  :cry:

ruffmesiter_69

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2007, 15:35 »
rabbit proof your plot like we have (see link in sig) cost us about 20 quid and stops the rabiits getting your crops

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2007, 15:46 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Quote from: "grannieannie"
... rabbits don't eat flowers

Oh yes they do.  :cry:  :cry:

Do they????  Oh sorry about that.  I've never seen a rabbit eating flowers.  Apologies for misinformation everyone!!!!!

Losttheplot

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2007, 16:26 »
Hi

The upturned bottle seems to be working a treat on our plot.  Any size bottle will do  We have had our peas nibbled but they are still growing so hopefully they will be ok.  We have bought some organic slug stuff from aldi.  It was only a couple of quid and it is a big tub of the stuff so we shall see if that does the trick.  Thet main  problem we have is pidgeons and badgers so gonna try the cd trick myself!!!

Hope this helps
Hayles.xxx

mkhenry

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2007, 23:52 »
Hey SG I bet they where great Egg Buttys. You could not get better tasting grub at a 5star restaurant than a fresh fried egg butty and a big mug of sweet tea. As to rabbits there is a local butcher who wants as many rabbits as he can get. He says that the message as got through that they are good for you,low in fat and cholestrol etc.and he cannot get enough. If you got rabbits you now have another crop,one that you can also sell. Lucky for me Muntys not on line,he would tell you he has been doing just that for years. :D  :D  :D
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

mum of 3

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2007, 08:04 »
all our site is rabbit proofed as its like blooming watership down on a summer evening :lol: .we lost all our carrots last year when someone left the gate open :roll: ,but other than that didnt really suffer.

xx
Can you grow seedless edible grapes in the UK?

Started by ski on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 25, 2010, 10:54
by ski
xx
edible boundary

Started by cbu183 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 17, 2016, 16:08
by Gardener and Rabbit
xx
Is this an edible plant?.....

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post August 16, 2007, 11:10
by jacnal
xx
edible perennials please

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 14, 2013, 16:41
by moose

Page created in 0.417 seconds with 35 queries.