Edible Hedges

• 8 Replies

Jasmine123

Edible Hedges
« on: February 27, 2016, 14:15 »
Friends on the allotment are showing interest in growing edible hedges.
Blackthorn (for Sloe Gin) , Crab Apple (for jelly), Cherry Plum (for jam), Dog Rose (for Rosehip syrup), Elderberry (for delicious cordial from the flowers in spring), Hazel (for Nuts), Wild Pear (for jams, liqueurs and syrups),

Small Pack 25 mixed plants for 3-4m of hedge
Medium Pack 50 mixed plants for 6-8m of hedge
Large Pack 100 mixed plants for 13-15m of hedge
Pruning Hedging plants should be pruned during Autumn/Winter as this is when the plants are dormant. The hedge will grow as tall as you allow it to, annual pruning will keep it in check.
Available from late November until the end of March.

Just wondered whether anyone else had had a go at this and whether or not they would recommend? 

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Edible Hedges
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 14:32 »
Sounds like a nice idea.

We have no hedges or fences around our individual plots but I would think you would have to make sure you don't cause a shade problem either to yourself or allotment neighbours.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 14:50 »
No tree planting allowed on our plots, so check your agreements first.

Tree roots grow as wide as the branches and would hinder vegetable growth.
In my garden I had roots growing up into my raised beds from a cherry tree planted 6ft away. I had it cut down in the end.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 15:50 »
I have a long gft high blackthorn hedge along the south side of my plot - it grows 4ft/year and chucks out lots and lots of suckers. Unless you need the thorns, I'd adios the blackthorn and the dog rose. I also have dog rose and it climbs so much it needs a hefty prune each year, which then stops it flowering. The others sound lovely if you can get fruit - pigeons love elderberries!

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 17:42 »
I am growing or having a go at growing Saskatoon northtline bushes this year they are already in the ground, they are said to get about 2Mtr tall and make excellent hedges. Blackthorne is always a problem as they spread.
I have Blackberries on my external chainlink fence, you can never have to many blackberries when making blackberry chilli preserve  :)
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 19:37 »
Blackberry chilli preserve - pray tell...

I've put excess blackcurrant and raspberry in the fencing area round my plot - only been in since September but the plants look healthy. Also stuch a load of strawberry runners in - might get the odd strawberry from them at no cost to me (other than the minor effort of sticking them in the ground). I've put some blackthorn in as well - we get the pathway round the edge of the plot cut so hoping that runners won't be an issue.

Pip pip,
Balders

ptarmigan

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 08:11 »
I put a hedge in, hawthorn and slides. In restore pet I wish I hadn't. It's taking forever to do anything, 4 years in no fruit, and it needs chopping once a year, doesn't found much but it's a half day of time I desperately need elsewhere on the plot. Weekend allotment rather than full time.

And while I put down weed suppressant it has become v weedy and is a source of couch grass coming into the plot and I've really lost control of that.  It was a bad idea in my case.   

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 09:22 »

Hi there Baldy.
It was my friends idea last year,he is a chief and has been experimenting over the past few years in making fruit preserve with added chilli. We tried everything last year, Blackberry, Raspberry, Red/Black currents etc. I must say they are very good especially the Blackberry, and Raspberry ones. you can have them with cheeses or, with meats., either hot or cold, I also add them to gravy and sauces. His Blackberry and Chilli Cheese Cake is to die for. Sorry to go off topic a bit.     

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 13:01 »

Hi there Baldy.
It was my friends idea last year,he is a chief and has been experimenting over the past few years in making fruit preserve with added chilli. We tried everything last year, Blackberry, Raspberry, Red/Black currents etc. I must say they are very good especially the Blackberry, and Raspberry ones. you can have them with cheeses or, with meats., either hot or cold, I also add them to gravy and sauces. His Blackberry and Chilli Cheese Cake is to die for. Sorry to go off topic a bit.     

Do you have any recipes MarkW?
Rachael

xx
Hedges in allotment

Started by Suaz on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post January 29, 2013, 12:22
by Rampant_Weasel
xx
edible boundary

Started by cbu183 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 17, 2016, 16:08
by Gardener and Rabbit
xx
Edible weeds

Started by khelashi on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 15, 2012, 06:30
by Madame Cholet
xx
edible weeds

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 06, 2011, 22:08
by Growster...

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 37 queries.