edible perennials please

• 17 Replies

hamstergbert

Re: edible perennials please
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 08:55 »
Been including fuchsias in my jams for donkeys years.  Rarely get enough ripe at once to attempt a principally fucshia jam or jelly without picking what is there as it ripens and building up a stash in the freezer until there is enough!  Hard to tell if the taste is impaired, but freezing certainly helps the structure to break down faster so it is ready for jelly-bagging with less boiling (and do the crabs for the pectin separately)

Usually however I limit them to 'significant other' in a medley jelly or as a sidekick component for another jelly.  Seems to go very well as a contrasting taste with rosehip jelly, especially if you reduce the sugar slightly.

Also a gorgeous flower - we have one in particular right under the dining room window which is cut right back every spring and yet which grows to five feet or more each summer.  Tough as old boots and very large flowers with deep hued inner.  Berries can reach cherry-plum size or larger.  (Actually planted in quite a small pot with a spoonful of soil twenty years ago and no idea how it survives!  Afraid to try and move it in case we kill it - but don't really need to as trimmings stuck into a dug over patch to keep the cats from fouling it tend to root in next to no time!)
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

thestens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 10:18 »
Nasturtiums - I grow some round the edge of the plot both leaves and flowers can be used in salad. The leaves are peppery and the flowers look good. Also once you get the little b's you'll never get rid of 'em. I don't mind I like the look of them.
Taken over neglected veg garden at new home. Enemy number 1 Ground Elder. Then there is the furry terror - bunnies - to contend with!
Made a start have beds established but moved in too late for serious planting. We shall see what 2015 brings.

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 16:41 »
I'm going to try Tree Collards this year. They are supposed to go on for ten or more years and are easy to propagate.

xx
my weird and wonderful edible perennials have arrived

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2013, 18:38
by Madame Cholet
xx
Controlling perennials

Started by BuddingGrower on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 22, 2014, 14:29
by sion01
xx
growing peppers as perennials

Started by catweazle on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 29, 2011, 13:30
by shokkyy
xx
perennials in belfast sinks??

Started by Ed89 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2014, 22:53
by Totty

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 38 queries.