End of runner beans - what now?

• 13 Replies

balfie

End of runner beans - what now?
« on: September 14, 2012, 11:46 »
Hi again, I'm posting lots of questions today!

Our runner beans are drawing to a close, our neighbour on the plot next door has said to leave a few beans on the plants to get really big, and these can be the beans we save to grow next year.  Can someone tell me how to save the beans correctly?
Do they need drying out?

And someone at work told me the runner bean plants can be dug straight into the soil as they are good for the soil, is this correct?  Do I need to do anything else with them or just bury them?  Or should they go on the compost heap?
Some of our plants have a black thing on the leaves, (illness) would this be bad for the soil?  Or will it die once its buried?

All advice greatfully recieved!

BabbyAnn

Re: End of runner beans - what now?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 13:41 »
basically you leave some pods to mature and dry off on the plants (hopefully we don't get cold wet weather)  Then remove and shell out the seeds, leave to air dry before storing (use something like a paper envelope in case they are still "damp" and will still be able to dry off without going mouldy)

And yes, theplants can be dug straight into the soil but I always find the stems a little tough for my liking.  So I cut them at ground level and put the stems into the compost bin but leave the roots in the ground where they will rot down and add nitrogen to the soil (legumes encourage nitrogen fixing bacteria on the roots so this is an added bonus)

Black thing - sounds like mould, or is it blackfly?  If mould, it might make it difficult to keep the pods from going mouldy while they are maturing on the plant.  As far as I'm aware, there's no harm composting mouldy leaves.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 14:03 »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Dopey113

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 15:35 »
shell out the seeds, leave to air dry before storing (use something like a paper envelope in case they are still "damp" and will still be able to dry off without going mouldy)

Now I'm not at all advocating this, but when I shop at Tesco I take a few mushroom bags, there paper with a clear plastic window, and ideal for this job..... and others like it  :lol:
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 15:37 »
shell out the seeds, leave to air dry before storing (use something like a paper envelope in case they are still "damp" and will still be able to dry off without going mouldy)

when I shop at Tesco I take a few mushroom bags,

But only with mushrooms in, which you pay for!

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 16:10 »
If you leave the runner bean plant-stubs in the ground and we have a mild winter, they'll start to grow again giving you a nice early start next year

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 16:34 »
If you leave the runner bean plant-stubs in the ground and we have a mild winter, they'll start to grow again giving you a nice early start next year

Never seen this before - interesting..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 16:39 »
Seen someone on youtube leave them in, and they grew back next year.  But they was in California lol.  But it worked, and they did have a frost that winter.  Nothing lost to give it a try.
This is my Allotment, There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without my Allotment I am nothing, without me, my Allotment is nothing

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 16:47 »
I accidentally overwintered some runner beans about 10 years ago - at the time I'd only got one dalek compost bin so just piled up all my garden rubbish in a heap above where I had cut the runners down to the ground (grew them up a wigwam that year.)

Next spring I cleared up the mess and shortly after was amazed to find runner bean shoots (several per root) springing up in a neat circle!  :ohmy:

The pile of green stuff must have kept the frost off the tubers and allowed them to survive the winter - I still regret the fact I had to dig them up as I needed the space for something else, but the new growth certainly looked vigorous and plentiful.

These days I save seeds and dig up the whole lot and compost it to save possibly facing the same dilemma (and because they don't rot down quickly enough in the soil), although I don't think they would survive in the ground over winter in normal circumstances.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

balfie

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 20:40 »
Thanks for all your replies, very interesting.

Dont know that I will try to get them to grow again, I dont like the frame we used and the way they are set out so want to do it differently next year.  But might see if I can do this next year...

And hopefully next year I will be growing my bean from seeds I have saved myself!   :)

balfie

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 20:45 »

when I shop at Tesco I take a few mushroom bags,

But only with mushrooms in, which you pay for!

lol, think I may go buy some mushrooms....

NASH

• Experienced Member
  • I live in Cardiff
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 20:57 »
I have only managed 3 half carrier bag fulls this year  >:( and they were in the ground late May

They are still growing well so I hope I have a little more off them

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 21:02 »
I was toying with the idea of saving some seed for next year, because I had a ridiculously big crop this year; my freezer is full of them, I've got jam jars full of them dried and I've given away loads. What bothers me a bit is according to that article at the link DD provided I have to pick out the best plants and best pods, and it's way too late for that. I've also picked all the good sized pods already. I've got plenty of small and immature pods left and it's still flowering, but I wouldn't have thought those pods are really going to have time now to get big and swell, because the weather is cooling down fast. Do you think there's still time for those pods to grow and swell enough for me to collect seeds, or is it too late?

balfie

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 21:14 »
Ours are still flowering and producing, but I dont know how much longer it will go on for as there is a distinct chill in the air at nights now.

I had not thought of drying the beans.  We've frozen a lot and given away a lot.
Quite pleased with our crop considering its our first time  :D

xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Confused about runner and non-runner beans!

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2015, 20:24
by Yorkie
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
xx
French beans and runner beans

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 25, 2012, 13:19
by Thrift

Page created in 0.426 seconds with 40 queries.