Weed control fabric

• 14 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Weed control fabric
« on: September 05, 2012, 15:59 »
I need nearly 100 square metres of the stuff. I have some blighted (spud-blight) land that I feel may be better used for fruit growing (both bush and tree fruit). As there are bound to be plenty of pea-sized spuds left that may very well start to grow next year and continue the blight cycle, I intend to seal the soil off with weed-control fabric and give myself a permanent low-maintenance mini-orchard at the same time.

I'd welcome any tips please as to type of fabric, competitive price, method of securing against our Cumbrian gales etc

snowdrops

Re: Weed control fabric
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 16:01 »
Hi Alan there's another thread running asking pretty much the same thing, Mypex is one of the ones mentioned. Clever people can do a link but don't think I can :blink:

edited to try to add link

Here try this maybe I can do it

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=93835.0
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 16:03 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 15:11 »
Thanks for link and advice. Just ordered 100sq metres plus pegs. No more spending for a couple of months!

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 19:30 »
Just a quick update. Thanks for the advice. The weed membrane and pegs from QVS were not only the cheapest on the web, they arrived yesterday as promised. Today, despite horrible weather, I've got the whole 100 sq metres covered and pegged down with a few bricks providing additional security against autumn gales. Now I'm busy perusing catalogues to select the right fruit trees/bushes for the location

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 20:35 »
Enjoy  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 06:32 »
Glad to be of help. Should save you some weeding next year.

Dazzer

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 12:27 »
Just a quick update. Thanks for the advice. The weed membrane and pegs from QVS were not only the cheapest on the web, they arrived yesterday as promised. Today, despite horrible weather, I've got the whole 100 sq metres covered and pegged down with a few bricks providing additional security against autumn gales. Now I'm busy perusing catalogues to select the right fruit trees/bushes for the location

Could you post a link - I'm looking for some too and cheapest is definitely good :)

bigben

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 14:29 »

Could you post a link - I'm looking for some too and cheapest is definitely good :)

I bought some really cheap stuff a couple of years back and stuff just grew through it. It was a real waste of money. I pay a bit more now get the heavy stuff from allplas, and find it lasts and does a good job but is even better if covered with wood chip if you are making it a permanent feature like a path.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 14:31 by bigben »

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 19:09 »
This stuff is heavier than the B&Q stuff. From memory it's 120 gm/sq metre and nothing has grown through the B&Q membrane in 2 years, so I'm happy with it

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 04:09 »

blimey alan sounds to me like your going to be looking at a 2nd morgage at the rate your spending !!  :lol:
Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance

Kirpi

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 10:40 »
do you find this stuff provides a home for slugs which you then can't get to because they hide under the membrane?

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 13:26 »

blimey alan sounds to me like your going to be looking at a 2nd morgage at the rate your spending !!  :lol:
This is Cumbria, not the affluent South  :D. Total budget including fruit trees/bushes several of which I'd previously rooted from cuttings or bought at distressed price is £100
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 13:27 by AlaninCarlisle »

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 15:42 »
blimey alan thats about 1/4 of what i thought you would have to pay out sounds like a bargain to me as a novice !

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 16:05 »
blimey alan thats about 1/4 of what i thought you would have to pay out sounds like a bargain to me as a novice !
This is why Salford City Reds struggle. They pay too much for their players ;)

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 20:17 »
This is why Salford City Reds struggle. They pay too much for their players ;)

sorry mate i know even less about football than i do gardening !!!  :D

xx
Weed control fabric

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 29, 2019, 20:19
by mumofstig
question
Weed control fabric

Started by Weston grower on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 15, 2010, 00:07
by Salmo
xx
Weed control fabric

Started by Chickybaby on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 03, 2010, 14:29
by Slowgrind
xx
Weed control fabric

Started by 2peasinapod on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 24, 2009, 09:24
by Larkshall

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 40 queries.