Runner/climbing French beans and a bean trench

• 5 Replies

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
Runner/climbing French beans and a bean trench
« on: May 13, 2010, 09:18 »
I'm planning on digging in well rotted poop and cardboard to a very late bean trench for my beloved beans. My question is can I just sow the beans direct to this setup or should I start off seedlings and transplant? I'd rather just pop a couple of beans into each station and forget about them for a week or so, I have no more room indoors!!

Thanks so much for any advice and apologies if this is a commonly asked question.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Runner/climbing French beans and a bean trench
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 09:30 »
you can seed direct........but don't sow until just before the frosts are finished.......and who knows when that will be this year  :unsure:

They may be a bit later than transplanted ones, but I think  runners will all be late this year... plus a lot of people planted them out too early and lost them ::)

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 09:40 »
15th May is the traditional day for sowing seeds of beans and marrows outdoors. By the time they come up in about 10 days the frosts should be finished.

If you want to keep your beans safe from slugs and other beasties you could sow them in pots outside and then transplant them.

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 15:39 »
15th May is the traditional day for sowing seeds of beans and marrows outdoors. By the time they come up in about 10 days the frosts should be finished.

If you want to keep your beans safe from slugs and other beasties you could sow them in pots outside and then transplant them.
Is it too late to do them in my 'soon to arrive' new rootrainers then?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 15:44 »
don't get hung up on that 15th may date  :nowink:

I sow some early and plant out early and hope to get them through late frosts with fleece (hasn't worked this year ::) ) and I then sow direct at the bottom of the canes during the first week of June.
These later sowings have never failed, so your new root trainers will arrive in plenty of time ;)

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 15:46 »
don't get hung up on that 15th may date  :nowink:

I sow some early and plant out early and hope to get them through late frosts with fleece (hasn't worked this year ::) ) and I then sow direct at the bottom of the canes during the first week of June.
These later sowings have never failed, so your new root trainers will arrive in plenty of time ;)
Thanks MOS, i thought that with the weather, packet timings were best ignored and another fortnight/three weeks wouldn't hurt....

Edit to ask whether a handful of FBB in the trench would do any good? Or any harm? Thanks again....
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 15:49 by rhysdad »

xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
question
Runner bean trench

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 22, 2012, 19:38
by sunshineband
xx
Chicken poo for runner bean trench?

Started by Mum2mj on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 04, 2014, 14:14
by mumofstig
xx
Climbing French Bean/Yellow

Started by SUTTY1 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post September 16, 2010, 18:47
by SUTTY1

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 40 queries.