Do cherries and currants have pectin enough for jam?

• 5 Replies

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
I went to my allotment this morning and couldn't do much in the rain apart from getting rid of slugs and snails devouring my plants.

Anyway, I instead picked lots of fruit - gooseberries(again - I'm blessed with LOADS!), blackcurrants and cherries (cooking variety I'm told, as quite sharp). I've made gooseberry jam before and plan to repeat. I'd like to make some from the currants and cherries as well, but wondered if these have enough pectin in them? If not, will a squeeze of lemon juice do?
Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

WG.

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 22:19 »
Currants certainly do, yes.  Check recipes for cherries though - might need the lemon juice or a commercial pectin.

jacnal

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 22:34 »
On second thoughts, prompted by another thread, I've just raided my cupboard and found not one but 2(!) bottles of gin :D  :shock:  :D  :D ! Must be from 3 years ago when we first moved in here and friends brought us bottles for housewarming :lol: .... Just managed to finish the brandy last year and the vodka bottle's got raspberries in it (we don't drink much, apart from a glass of wine or a beer every now and then) Well, I could use some of the currants to make a liqueur with one bottle and use any remainder for the jam.

Cherries - I'll surf the net some and if I can't find anything I'll make a pie or some other sweet dessert out of them.

Thanks again WG for speedy reply. Must get it all done tonight as working tomorrow and most of next week   :(

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 08:03 »
I made Cherry Jam and added some lemon juice and it set very well

jacnal

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 09:08 »
Quote from: "slowef"
I made Cherry Jam and added some lemon juice and it set very well

Thanks Slowef.

Day off today, and I'm sure lots more cherries to pick, so I'll make jam! I made a compote with the last batch, but the seeds are a nuisance - they're still in situ  :oops:. I think I'll need to wash my hands really well, take them out and then boil once more to kill any bugs.

Is there an easier way to de-seed cherries?

Off to the plot before it starts raining again. I'm scared of the state in which I'll find it as not been since Saturday  :cry:  :(  :cry:

dawninspain

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 14:08 »
We once lived in a house with a morello cherry tree in the garden and used to make jam with them.  My recipe said to crack the cherry stones (I think we used a hammer) and take out the kernels and add these to the jam to improve the set. Having said that I think cherry jam is one which you have to be satisfied with a 'soft' set most of the time. I seem to remember it kept well.

To get the stones out of the cherries we have a garlic press which also has a cherry stoner at one end - makes the job really quick.

Currants have loads of pectin and are one of the easiest jams to get to set.

Dawn

xx
Pectin

Started by Membrillo on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post July 07, 2011, 20:26
by Membrillo
xx
Pectin, what is it?

Started by rictic on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 20, 2009, 22:15
by johnfh
xx
pectin

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

16 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 21:08
by chrissie B
xx
Pectin source

Started by RJR_38 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

25 Replies
Last post August 13, 2013, 19:33
by BobE

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 38 queries.