Herb help please

• 13 Replies

Cazzy

Herb help please
« on: March 01, 2010, 22:48 »
I'm going to grow some herbs that i've not used before and i'm having a problem deciding how many seeds to sow for each.

I realise no one can guess how much of each i'd use but i'm hoping someone can tell me whether one seed produces one bushy type plant or one stalk.

The herbs are.....

Sage, Oregano, Lemon Balm, Sweet Marjoram, Russian Tarragon and Chamomile

What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

madcat

Re: Herb help please
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 07:54 »
Sage, One bushy plant, but they take a while, several years, to get there so plant extras to eat in the mean time.

Oregano, a little bushy plant to pick over but you will need a lot of little plants
Sweet Marjoram, Russian Tarragon and Chamomile  ditto

Lemon Balm, see above.  I think this is only useful for tea - so before you plant, will you drink it?  Others will no doubt differ on this!!!   :D

Can I suggest you add Thyme to that collection?   ???
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 13:13 »

Russian tarragon is best to sow in a pot with a sprinkling of seeds. Do this now.  Pot in on to a bigger 5 inch pot once the seeds have germinated and then plant it in the garden once the frosts have gone. (Let’s say mid May)  It will grow seven or eight strong stems from this planting and will grow all summer long to about three feet high and about two feet across (max).  Keep it trimmed and it will continue to produce lots of lovely fresh aniseed tasting leaves.  You don’t have to use everything you cut off the plant.  Give some to neighbours and compost the rest. In winter it will die right back to nothing.  Mine grew back last year from the roots of the dead plant.  I'm not sure If I will be so lucky this year as it's been so very cold so I've just made another sowing just in case.

I did the same thing for sweet marjoram and got lots of long straight stems about two feet high.  I think that I should have kept this bushier as the stems tasted horrible but the leaves were great.   I'll keep this trimmed all season this year.

Sage is a bit more like a shrub.  Make lots of sowings as it grows quite slowly. but you will have leaves that you can use this season if you sow now.  One seed will eventually produce one whole bush but that is years away.  It is my experience that in the first few years, you have either too much sage or not enough.

I grew Oregano in pots on the green house last season.  One seed equals one small stem but I had a poor germination rate with this lot and they were very good seeds.  It was just a bit cold.   Sow lots of seeds in the area that you want it to grow.

The good thing about all herbs is that if you have too many you can dig them up and find a good home for them, you can freeze or dry many of them and everyone loves you if you turn up to their house with fresh herbs.
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 13:21 »
If you are sure you have a use for your Lemon balm for then go ahead. It's a herbaceous perennial and grows quite large and vigorously each year, seeding itself far and wide in my garden!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Cazzy

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 23:18 »
Madcat, the lemon balm and chamomile are both for tea,  I already grow thyme, used it for the first time last year and can't believe that i've survived all these years without it.

Corynsboy, thats great info and I suppose better to have too much and share it around than have too little

Hi JayG, how large are we talking and would pinching out the flowers stop the spreading issue?

All in all, i'm much more confident in what i'm doing with them so thanks for that guys.

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 23:21 »
If you are sure you have a use for your Lemon balm for then go ahead. It's a herbaceous perennial and grows quite large and vigorously each year, seeding itself far and wide in my garden!
Indeed it does grow well! But it is a lovely plant - just squeeze the leaves and they give off a beautiful scent.
 :)
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 12:25 »

Hi JayG, how large are we talking and would pinching out the flowers stop the spreading issue?

In my garden a single established plant probably grows to about 2' high and a similar sideways spread (and that's without any sort of encouragement from me!!)

Its flowers are tiny and numerous so probably not really realistic to try and remove them.
I might have slightly exaggerated the extent to which they seed themselves (probably about a 10 foot radius round the plant, which is still plenty but they are relatively easy to pull out when young)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 14:36 »
But they are a pain in the bum............I pulled out the 2 plants I had because of the self seeding nuisance and i still keep getting them come up in the veg bed >:(

Cazzy

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 15:17 »
I really do want lemon balm but don't really want the hassle of looking after it, given whats been said.... so.... I think i'll be growing it at home in a pot on the balcony, that way its handy for a cuppa.

sclarke624

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 01:58 »
My oregano took a while to germinate, so be aware of that.  Its lovely though much stronger than dried.  I also grow basil (lemon and siam), dill and chervil in smalish pots indoors.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Ropster

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 08:15 »
I really do want lemon balm but don't really want the hassle of looking after it, given whats been said.... so.... I think i'll be growing it at home in a pot on the balcony, that way its handy for a cuppa.

good idea, i wouldn't have it anywhere near my allotment. I have it in the garden and while it is nice, it is near impossible to get rig of once established

blackisgreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 09:56 »
cut your lemon balm back before it self seeds ,try dill for fish ,marjoram for stews,basil if you can grow it,parsley too. i enjoy hyssop but only for the bees.

Cazzy

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 13:31 »
Thanks!

The other herbs I grow and a bit more experience with are

Basil
Thyme
Coriander
Mint pepper/spear
Dill
Chives
and I've got some fenugreek on the go but have never used the leaves, I hear they are quite bitter when young so I might use more mature leaves and will definately have use for the seeds.

Any others I should add to the list?

madcat

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 13:42 »
I would add Rosemary - get a cutting from somebody; parsley - curly or flat leaved; herb celery for a taste of celery without the whole head; and if you can find the space a small bay tree.

Feverfew makes a good tea for headaches, but is another prolific self seeder.

xx
Is this a herb?

Started by Neezy13 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 06:23
by arugula
xx
Herb Bed

Started by teabelly on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 21, 2012, 20:48
by Ice
xx
is there a herb.......

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 18, 2010, 21:39
by Madame Cholet
xx
herb germination?

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 10, 2013, 23:21
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.456 seconds with 40 queries.