PRETTY PLEASE HELP! PROLASPED CHICKEN

• 6 Replies

gemhens

PRETTY PLEASE HELP! PROLASPED CHICKEN
« on: August 22, 2012, 13:08 »
Hello.

I am new to chicken keeping and yesterday i noticed my lovely Dotty has a sore and droopy vent- thanks to graphic internet pics and advice i diagonised this as a prolapse :-((

I put some sugar on her sore vent as adviced and pushed back inside, she seemed ok after it but i popped her in a box in my house overnight.

Today she has been lethagic, i gave her a warm bath and cleaned her up a bit and then popped her back in her box outside. She came out of the box, drank some water (i added some honey to it to build energy) then toddled off to her nest box, where she has remained all day. She is only small and has been laying quite decent sized eggs, however thankfully she hasnt laid today. She is looking down in the dumps, however did chat to me a little before, but nothing near her usual happy self. She is also not eating.

Please can anyone help? What can i do? I am heartbroken seeing her like this :-(( who knew you could live a children so much after two weeks! Thank you a million times over for any help!

gemhens

Re: PRETTY PLEASE HELP! PROLASPED CHICKEN
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 13:18 »
**lvove a chicken rather ha!*

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 13:37 »
She may be having difficulty in laying an egg with the prolapse.  If you can give her a warm bath for 20 minutes or so and dry her gently with hairdryer on low setting it may help.  If she is unable to lay she will be egg bound which you don't want.  Not sure if I have read of people using vaseline or cooking oil to lube the vent area which may also help.  People have also used hemroid cream to shrink the prolapse.  Hopefully someone else may give you more detailed help.  Good luck with Dotty.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

ehs284

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 13:38 »
Is the prolapse staying in?
If so, don't worry, just give her time. She might need a careful warm wash. Might be good to put antiseptic ointment on the sore area around the vent (I've used ibuprofen sometimes, but not sure how much difference it makes).
It will take her a while to recover from the event. The last one we had took several weeks before she was back to normal and was nervous and off her food for a while. Many times I thought that she wouldn't make it, but she's fine now. Keep an eye open for pecking or pushing and if no problem I'd leave her to have peace in the box so long as she can get to water and food.
Best of luck

gemhens

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 16:08 »
Thankyou for your help.

Yes it went back in ok and it stayed in. She hasnt laid an egg today, which im ok with as i didnt want her to be in pain. I have just been out and left her in the kitchen, got home and left the back door open and she has ventured out- bug hunting it seems.

Ill keep mothering her at nights.  It was so upsetting seeing her like that! Why did noone tell me i would get so attached to my chooks?!  :tongue2:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 16:35 »
people who don't own chickens cannot understand why we all get attached to them - but we all know what great individual characters they are  :).
But if her prolapse should pop out then yes go with the haemorrhoid cream to help shrink it and whilst it is out keep her away from the other hens - they will peck at it and once they draw blood they won't stop  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

gemhens

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 18:39 »
Ok Dotty update.

She is now eating and has spent all afternoon chilling out in the garden. She is looking perkier! I found both my chooks cuddled up together sun bathing before, and my cat has been looking after her also. Will still keep her in my house tonihht. Phew! Hope she recovers well! Thabks all!

xx
I'm pretty and I want to keep chickens!!!

Started by sallyseven on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post December 07, 2006, 18:22
by Aunt Sally
xx
Sitting pretty!!

Started by Penny Finn on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 11, 2012, 15:57
by Penny Finn
xx
Pretty sure this one's not been asked before...

Started by shetan on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 08:50
by Sassy
xx
am getting eggs with pretty much no shell

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

29 Replies
Last post November 23, 2008, 07:43
by karlooben

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 39 queries.