Can you freeze achocha

• 5 Replies

bluepeterwoman

Can you freeze achocha
« on: November 02, 2012, 19:46 »
 They are those hollow pale green hedgehog looking things with prickly black seeds inside that grow on vines. (Has taken me all night to find the real name. DH bought a pack of seeds years ago and have been saving seeds out of them since).

Just got back from plot with a pile of them. I usually use in salads like green pepper but there is a limit how much salad we can eat.

Does anyone know if you can slice and freeze them to use in cooking like peppers as well?
In not I guess I shall be first to try it.

Off to slice more runner beans while I await any answers, I was surprised how many of those were still growing too.

TIA

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
Re: Can you freeze achocha
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 23:40 »
Are they like cucumbers or squashes? 

Just guessing, but I would have thought they would have too much water in to freeze and then defrost successfully. Usually the ice breaks down the cell structure.

But I have never tried it so you could try it with one and see.
Anne

bluepeterwoman

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 08:16 »
Although they grow on vines the actual things aren't watery like cucumbers. They are quite chewy and squeaky on your teeth like green beans.I think will bung the lot in freezer rather than turn to compost in fridge. Even if they do go mushy will be ok in a curry  ;).

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 17:19 »
Unless you're going to want to cook them whole, you might find it worth chopping them up and open freezing on a tray, before then bagging them up.

Mind you, I've posted this suggestion without any idea of what achocha looks like or how it is cooked!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 17:36 »
Unless you're going to want to cook them whole, you might find it worth chopping them up and open freezing on a tray, before then bagging them up.

Mind you, I've posted this suggestion without any idea of what achocha looks like or how it is cooked!

If you think sweet pepper insides  but looking like a conker outer casing outside you have achocha.

Cannot help with the freezing question as mine were only enjoyed by the compost heap! :)

bluepeterwoman

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 11:26 »
Well i just deseeded sliced and froze. Tried stir-frying a handful last night and they were fine. (Added a bit of colour ans texture to some leftovers).
Another bit of useless info I doubt I will ever be able impart on anyone but nice to know I can save extras if I have them again.

xx
anyone cooked achocha?

Started by chimaera on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post August 30, 2010, 00:09
by TheSpartacat
xx
achocha ladies slippers

Started by Ema on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

13 Replies
Last post September 06, 2013, 20:11
by pigguns
xx
Freeze method.

Started by Russell Atterbury on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post January 25, 2021, 09:47
by New shoot
xx
Tomato freeze

Started by sclarke624 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 15:45
by gillie

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 38 queries.