Greenhouse Base

• 4 Replies

Big Stev3

Greenhouse Base
« on: April 14, 2012, 19:11 »
Hi All,

I have purchased, dismantled and successfully transferred my new greenhouse to my allotment plot. My greenhouse has an aluminium base. I was wondering if this needs to go on to slabs or can it go straight on to the soil or sand?

Kind Regards
Steve

Dopey113

Re: Greenhouse Base
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 19:31 »
Best to put bricks under it, so long term it wont sink in to the ground year by year, and if you work up the the edge you wont accidently strike the glass with a spade or fork breaking glass
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 19:35 »
Main requirements are that the base must be level and solid, the frame 100% square, and some form of anchorage provided to ensure it all remains where you originally put it!

That still leaves plenty of choices, and gaining some extra height (for you and/or the plants!) is one of them  - concrete building blocks are popular because they are heavy, cheap, and can be either half buried or cemented into place depending on circumstances.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

thatruddyvicar

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 20:15 »
I don't want to hijack this thread but I did just same last year. I put greenhouse down on slabs because they were there from previous keeper. It's a bit windy where we are but I was surprised come February when I wanted to start use sing the greenhouse for more than just overwintering to find it had moved 9 inches along the base. At least it hadn't rolled over!! What is best way to anchor it? Should I just drill through base and screw into slabs or is there something you can buy or make to keep it still?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 21:06 »
I used "frame fixing screws" which are quite easy once you've drilled through frame and blocks/bricks/slabs - the screw and plug are then just tapped into the hole and the screw tightened.

Not so easy if the glass is in place because you haven't got much room to position the drill - some people use metal straps instead (anything is better than nothing and will help you sleep better on windy nights!)

xx
Base For Greenhouse?

Started by Pimento on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post August 29, 2011, 22:08
by Pimento
xx
Greenhouse base??

Started by infowarrior on Design and Construction

14 Replies
Last post February 27, 2007, 14:17
by legendaryone
xx
Greenhouse Base

Started by dave249 on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post June 03, 2013, 21:34
by Growster...
xx
Greenhouse base

Started by Bonniebean on Design and Construction

21 Replies
Last post February 05, 2010, 18:33
by savbo

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 40 queries.