What breed of dog?

• 28 Replies

Angus

• Skyechi
Re: What breed of dog?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 12:28 »
this will help you make your choice.

http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/findabreed/

there are some very amusing comments on this thread and very interesting and totally untrue ones too.

A first time dog owning family should not consider a working or guarding breed of dog as these breeds tend to need a more experienced type of owner and enviroment.  There are lots of breeds out there as long as you make an informed choice.  If space is limited a mongrel would be a bad idea as you have no way of knowing how big they will grow or indeed of their temperament this is too much of a risk if their are children in the home. In my opnion.

Sue33

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 12:53 »

we have a springer spaniel at the moment but she is a very "jealous" dog, i was brought up with a collie and old english sheepdog and they were lovely, very good temperaments.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 14:08 »
I wouldnt have a border collie............. need a load of exercise and also a lot of games/toys to stop their very intelligent mind from getting bored
Absolutely, they do :) They are great entertainment for and normally adore children and vice versa.

Lorna. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

wighty

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 20:26 »
What ever breed of dog you get I would always recommend an 'area' which is the dogs own and children are not allowed.  We always had one,  (under the table) where the dog knew it could rest, hide or whatever.  My girls were 8 and 11 when we first got our Boxers and we taught 'respect' to both children and dogs as the most important thing.

matilda duck

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 21:53 »
I'm goiung to stick my 2 pence worth here and I make no appologies.
When I lived at home we had a border collie....she was a beautiful well behaved girl and I loved her to pieces. She died not long after I got married :(.
When Ste and I decided to get a dog there was no decision.........border collie just like Maddy.     
She (Alice) was a nightmare from the word go!  She ripped floors up, ate furniture, but we loved her.  Along came Alistair when she was 4 months old.  OMG she wasn't happy with that!  She put up with him but she was no longer top dog >:(.

When Mary came 4 years later that was it she lost it BIG time.  She would growl at her and couldn't be left for even a split second.  Unfortunatly she had to be re-homed :(  I still miss her really but I love my children.

We decided to try again with a different type of dog    He's a  red setter and as mad as a box of frogs.  I've never heard him growl he adores the kids.................but he's incredibly hard work ::)

Please be careful with a collie.......they are now so imbred that they are becoming nasty.  I've been told this numerous occasions by people in the know.

I hope you don't take this information funny Grannie Annie.........i'm just trying to help!

RIKJD89

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 22:24 »
i agree with the border collies being nasty, they are very pack orientated and dont like new members

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 22:32 »
I wouldn't take the advice funnily MD!  I just want to thank everyone for their input.  My daughter now has the link to this thread and to the kennel club link, and she'll show it to her daughter tomorrow when she comes over!

It'll probably confuse her more than anything!!!!   :lol: :lol: :lol:

My Nicola's last dog was a mongrel, she was a rescue dog and Nici, her boyfriend and her 2 girl's loved her to bits.  She only growled occasionally when being pulled around especially badly, but was otherwise very patient with the girls.

I just hope Shel manages to find a nice docile doggy to grow up with little Ellie!!!!

nzdunn

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 17:40 »
We have always had german shepherds, my two boys were both bought up with german shepherds, sorry i know there a large breed but wot wonderful dogs, companions they are, i just feel so much towards them, sadly out last gsd had to be put to sleep a yr ago but am hoping to have another one prehaps next yr.   nickyx

wighty

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 19:35 »
My \Dad  bred GSD's  and ran a re-training programme , we even had Englebert's at our house  for six months . They are not a dog for a novice.

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 20:55 »
We thought about a lab or retriever but didnt have the space, so we went for a cocker spaniel! we got Millie when she was only 12 weeks old when we got her and my youngest was only 2 years old! we have never had any problems with Millie apart from she now doesnt like men as she was attacked by 2 alsations just before she was a year old and the man was really abusive to me even though his dogs were the ones off the lead!!! ????
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2009, 07:22 »
I just hope Shel manages to find a nice docile doggy to grow up with little Ellie!!!!

That's the whole point isn't it? I think you've answered your own question there Grannie  :). A "nice" dog can be from any breed or mongrel and you can get a bad one in any breed - I've even known of nasty Labradors  :ohmy: and if they aren't the softest, soppiest dogs ever going.....

Lorna.  :)

rickman

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2009, 08:59 »

That's the whole point isn't it? I think you've answered your own question there Grannie  :). A "nice" dog can be from any breed or mongrel and you can get a bad one in any breed - I've even known of nasty Labradors  :ohmy: and if they aren't the softest, soppiest dogs ever going.....

Surely the key issue in most of this debate must be education, dogs and kids need boundaries set. My wife and I have rescued 5 Boxers and a mongrel over the last 16 years or so, all fantastic pets, companions etc, they very quickly became family members and the kids loved them.
One of them who we lost earlier this year had a lasting dislike of small children.  He was given to me by a family friend who had taken him away from his daughter because she would not look after him properly, and instead of educating her daughter how to treat an animal allowed her to pull, poke, prod and generally annoy the dog, doggy responses: growl snap bark - natural warnings (he never bit), but enough to ensure he lived outside in a pen most of the time. Who was to blame?
We got him aged 1 lost him at 8 and in that time ensured he never got put in a situation that involved small children without adult supervision.
Someone offered me a white Boxer a couple of weeks ago for similar reasons, sadly I had to say no and he ended up at the RSPCA.
Anyway back to the point: if the child and dog are trained and educated together, and the dog knows its place in the family order (don't forget they are pack animals), I suspect it is largely irrelevant what breed is chosen.

Andy

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2009, 10:04 »
Anyway back to the point: if the child and dog are trained and educated together, and the dog knows its place in the family order (don't forget they are pack animals), I suspect it is largely irrelevant what breed is chosen.

Yeah, I think that's what I was saying...

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2009, 22:27 »
I have two miniature schnauzers and can recommend them highly in every aspect of their being :) :)

They are clean (dont shed), low smell!!, will take as little or as much exercise as you offer and are very child friendly :)

They can be a bit yappy but will depend on individual dog.... we have one yapper and one that is ok :)

Fantastic little dogs all round.... worth a google :)
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 39 queries.