point of lay

• 6 Replies

Derek.laurence

point of lay
« on: September 13, 2012, 21:10 »
hey guys.

couple of questions regarding my girlies ( Bella, Daisy, Minnie, Peggy & Sue)

a couple of weeks ago i decided to add peggy and sue to my existing trio of birds.

The first three were 3 months old at this point.  Id had them since 4/6 weeks.

I can handle Bella Daisy and Minnie with no problem.

When i Got Peggy and Sue from their owner they were 5 months old (advertised as point of lay).  They are very flappy and as much as they are getting more familiar with me i still cant get close enough to handle them without them flying up in  my face lol.

Are there any tips/tricks to get the fiestier two settled downand used to handling?  Im worried that if something were to start to go wrong with them I wouldnt be able to get close enough to identify / monitor it, or get them into a carry cage!

Also, although they were advertised point of lay, im yet to see any eggs.  Will this just be down to the colder weather kicking in ( if so does this mean i wont see any until spring?)?
  I dont think I overfeed them, although they never seem to finish their pellets and freerange for most of the day.

No major concerns here, just a few curiosities.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom :)

Derek

splash101

Re: point of lay
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 21:48 »
with regards to them starting to lay, its just a waiting game. I had POL last November and they started laying in December and have laid an egg everyday since.

mine are also very flighty, they always have been. Unlike my other chickens who would eat out your hand, these wont come near. What i have to do is get them on the way out of the coop in the morning if i need to inspect to administer anything.

I can quite easily (if not a little undignified) steer them in the right direction i need them to go in with a brush in one hand and a small board in the other a bit like guiding pigs  :nowink:  Im sure it would just be easier to get a tin with corn in but i dont always do things the easy way
they are quite happy to be guided into a small pen i have where they are a little easier to catch.

Silly thing is that when i do get hold of them and pick them up they are as calm as you like and will sit there a long time and let you do whatever you need to.

I think if you handle them regularly they may settle down a bit

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 23:26 »
I have a 22 week old Welsummer bantam that is not laying yet and I don't think she will within the next month as her comb and wattle are not red yet.

My Black Rocks were 26 weeks old before the first one started to lay and 28 weeks old for the last one.

You can try stroking your hens gently when they are roosting and don't make any sudden movements they will soon get used to you.  You need to do it regularly and talk to them quietly.  Make sure your neighbours can't see though as they will think you're nuts!!   ::) :lol:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

grinling

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 09:48 »
I fill my pellet container up every3-4 days. They are in the garden at mo but due to go back into run as the chicks are on growers, which is medicated and the chicks free range with Poppy all day. Mine have started to lay. Make sure you have oyster shell available.

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 14:00 »
I got my girls at 18 weeks and they have been laying for about a 2 months now it was a waiting game as they where my first ones. I got the chooks used to me by hand feeding them with corn at night only took a few days and now they like to be stroked and picked up no problems.  :)
Pull up a perch!!

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 14:04 »
Some of my chickens didn't start to lay until they were 34 weeks old. It's just a waiting game but they will start to lay when they are ready.

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 08:53 »
Some breeds are naturally flighty others will come for a fuss even if there is no encouragement. You can check them when they are roosting as they go into a trancelike state and are very dopey then. POL does not mean they will lay in the next week or so, but they will lay when they are ready and it will be worth waiting for. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
point of lay ???

Started by yorkshirerose on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 26, 2007, 23:47
by Aunt Sally
xx
Getting to point of lay

Started by rugbymad40 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 26, 2007, 15:45
by Sadgit
xx
Point of Lay?

Started by darcyhen on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 09, 2009, 21:47
by woodside farm
xx
Point of lay

Started by foggle007 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 17, 2007, 20:51
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 38 queries.