First time Broody ( HELP )

• 15 Replies

vickyb30

First time Broody ( HELP )
« on: November 14, 2010, 16:02 »
My Silkie hen has gone Broody for the first time, its been about 3 days How long does this normally Last for ?? She is sitting in un fertilised eggs, do you think I should put some fertilised under her, as I have her in the Summer house and also have the heat lamps?
She also hasnt moved, I have to keep putting food infront of her, which shes not really eating .. Is that normal?

Thanks Vicky
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 16:06 by vickyb30 »

bantam novice

Re: First time Broody ( HELP )
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 16:41 »
Hello Vicky,

Broodiness can last as long as the hen feels broody, if that makes sense!  It can be anything from a few days to weeks.

Bringing up chicks in cold weather is much harder work for the mother hen.  I feel it would be unwise to put fertilised eggs under her this time of year.  I am waiting until spring.

It is normal for her to stay absolutely put except for once or twice a day when she will move to do one enormous pooh and have a little to eat and drink to keep her going.

If you want her to stop being broody there are anti-broody measures you can take. 

Good luck!  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

vickyb30

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 16:44 »
Shes not coming out at all in the day times, the days leading up to her going broody she had the huge poos ... Now shes not coming out at all  :wacko: its been 2 days since shes come out of bed.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 16:59 »
you need to shut the nest box off after the others have laid (or even shut the coop up completely), so she has nowhere comfortable to go.
Staffies are softer than you think.

vickyb30

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 17:35 »
Ah Right is it bad for her to be in bed all the time? I thought thats what they did when they went broody  :unsure:

tex

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 18:54 »
its fine to let her sit on fertilised eggs if you want chicks but as already mentioned its much harder work this time of year.if you decide you dont want chicks you need to break the broodiness as it can go on for a longtime and be very disruptive for the others.our little darling was broody for a month during the summer so i feel for you.we were given lots of advice but the only thing that worked was to split her off from the others.this will make it easier to manage her.dont give her anywhere comfortable to sit and brood.we removed her nestbox completely and shut her out of the shed during the day.we let her back in with the others after a week and she went straight to the nest box so immediately we split her off again for another week.this done the trick.
good luck hope it goes well for you.

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 19:12 »
Everyone will have different opinions on how to break a broody, but I feel some of them could prove cruel, particularly in winter! Some say dunk in cold water (I wouldn't do that now!), or a dog crate on bricks so that the air can cool her underside (again, could prove a little cruel I feel in winter) but I am a big softy!

I have had a silkie who has just hatched her 2nd lot of the year! However, I purposely gave her a small clutch (6) to which only 3 hatched. This means they are easily manageable for her. She stayed in the house for 2 weeks and has now gone into the garage in a nice run and a cosy corner to snuggle in.

You say they are in a summer house with heat lamps? If the heat lamps are on then surely this will be warm and therefore a much better environment to bring chicks on rather than the normal coup.

Tbh I was wondering whether to hatch this late on this year as I hatched in december last year. All chicks were fine, however stayed in the house a bit and also waited much longer before putting them outside.

It's your decision but please be prepared to provide her with plenty of warmth if you do choose to hatch. She will also need moving at least once a day for a nice broody poo and a drink and eat. Also, has to be mentioned in a 'thinking about hatching thread', be mindful as to what to do if you get cocks!

Steve

vickyb30

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 19:39 »
She looks so comfy all settled,I know how I'd love a good lay in bed  :nowink:  I don't think its good for her not to move all day tho, I am putting mash potato, her food etc right under her nose just to make her eat cos she literally is just sitting on those eggs, I feel maybe she would be sad when nothing comes of them, I have a friend that has an allotment who took the boys at 16 ish weeks when they started cock a doodle do ing, I'm waiting for one myself so hopefully will be able to keep the boys I raise  :D

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 19:49 »
My broodies do not move at all and I tend to move them twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. I always put water next to them but throw food on the grass when I 'throw' them out of their accommodation for 5 mins or so.

Like I say, rearing chicks and checking on mum is much more difficult and time consuming in the winter imo. Make sure you have thought it through thoroughly first. Think about the breed also if you are wanting the cocks for meat!

Steve

vickyb30

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 20:00 »
Noooo ...... Steve  I cant even eat the eggs lol  I just keep them cos I love them  :wub:
I got mine from day olds, maybe I should wait but really think I could look after them  in the winter, do you think I should move the un fertilised ones shes sitting on?

Thanks Vicky

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 22:28 »
If you are going to let her stay broody then leave the unfertilized eggs underneath until you have some fertilized eggs, then sneak them under at night. Do it soon as to ensure that she isn't sat on her backside for well over 3 weeks! This time of year that wouldn't be good.

steve

vickyb30

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 22:52 »
Will I take the eggs away, I'm not going to hatch this time of year anymore I've looked at the weather and its her first hatch , so maybe it might be a lil bit to much ... Will I pick her up out of bed to kick start her into, being a normal again ??

Thanks Vicky  :D

jinty1911

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 16:42 »
My 3 all went broody one after the other.  After 4 weeks they have started to come out of it.  Grace has been laying her tiny wee egg for 5 days, Cilla is no longer broody but not laying yet and Gladys is still determined she is having babies.  I have blocked of nest box  off at night and shut them out of the house during the day.  Poor gracie is laying on the house floor after they go to bed at 4.30.  I agree it's to cold and frosty to do any of the anti-broody solutions but will in the summer.
Jinty

vickyb30

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 14:33 »
I picked her up yesterday and what a mess, locked her out all day and gave her a lovely warm bath to clean her up, Cleaned her out to and moved the eggs, She came out this morning, but I have since been told after leaving for work shes back in ...  :wacko:

jinty1911

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 21:37 »
Poor Grace was squawking to get into the house when I came home today so opened nest box for her (first time in weeks). She laid her tiny wee egg without a sound in about 10 mins. I went out to close box and there was Gladys sitting on Gracies egg as proud as punch.  Out into the cold she went but think she so determined that I'm losing a losing battle.
Jinty   

question
My first time with a broody hen - what should i do?

Started by crem on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 08, 2010, 22:08
by pheobe1
xx
My 1st time with a broody, so all new to me

Started by becksi on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 23, 2009, 00:00
by becksi
exclamation
Broody at this time!!

Started by Oakdalebirds on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post December 29, 2010, 16:02
by jinty1911
xx
Broody resting time

Started by slowef on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 15, 2007, 22:24
by slowef

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 39 queries.