Poorly hen

• 2 Replies

Becky D

Poorly hen
« on: April 13, 2021, 17:08 »
I need some advice. I have a small bantam hen who is roughly a year old now. She’s recently dropped a lot of weight and not eating much she was wormed 4-6 weeks ago and still not eating much so carried out a poo count and it was clear. Don’t want to throw everything at her as this can make them worse. She’s not eating grit, she will eat but crop is pretty empty but it does fill and empty as normal as she’s being coming in on a night for some warmth. I recently lost another hen as my dog got hold of her and I am thinking it was the stress from losing her as she’s not been the same since. Any ideas ?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Poorly hen
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 13:02 »
Hi Becky and welcome to the forums.

I would be surprised if the hen was still stressed.  They move on pretty fast and don't really pine for long.  It might be your dog got hold of this one as well and caused an injury or it may just be coincidence.  I would recommend you take the hen to a vet.  She could starve if this carries on.

Hope it turns out to be something the vet can treat and all is well, but she needs help either way.

grinling

Re: Poorly hen
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 18:09 »
How can you tell she is not eating much, bantams are very light to pick up. If free ranging, they will eat a lot of grass as well as bugs and get grit from the ground.
Make sure any enclosure you have is dog proof. 
My dog has a high prey instinct, but never jumped the picket fence until we had rabbits in the garden.
My hen has a wired greenhouse for a run.

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
Poorly leg

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 09, 2009, 21:49
by jo40
xx
Is my hen poorly?

Started by bygrace on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 28, 2011, 09:21
by kegs
xx
Poorly Hen

Started by danfinn1 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 14, 2016, 16:10
by New shoot

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 37 queries.