odd-shaped courgettes

• 5 Replies

Grubbypaws

odd-shaped courgettes
« on: September 06, 2022, 11:37 »
This year I have had lots off odd-shaped courgettes. They are in containers which have been well watered and fed. They had a sulk during the very hot weather but I dont think that this is the problem. Either the plants are not producing enough pollen or there are not enough pollinators. There does seem to have been a lower number of male flowers this yes (why?) so maybe this is the problem but I am very worried that it might be insect numbers numbers are down. As an aside I have yet to see any ladybirds this year. Usually we have large numbers coming the our sunny gritstone wall of the house. This year none  :ohmy:

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: odd-shaped courgettes
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2022, 06:25 »
It's hard to tell, but if you are worried about the number of pollinators, you can ask if anyone near your plot is spraying pesticide, that might give an explanation at least.  I assume you are not spraying anything.

You can also take some steps to lure in pollinators.  Plant bee-attractive plants nearby (mint, and anything with large, showy pollen-bearing flowers would work; sunflowers are one good choice).  During hot dry weather, bees seek a source of water, leave a shallow terracotta dish in your garden, with a centimeter of water in it, or set up a small concrete bird bath. 

You can also hand pollinate.  There are probably plenty of YouTube videos on how to hand-pollinate squash plants.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 13:15 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Grubbypaws

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 09:21 »
Thanks for this reply. Unfortunately I have already taken all these steps but still the problem exists  :( I grow my veg at my home so no insecticides anywhere near. The garden has been planted to be bee, butterfly and moth friendly. Water is always out for birds and bees.

I have a special little brush to hand pollinate but this year there have been a low number of male flowers and the ones that have been produced have had precious little pollen. I dont know if this is a problem with the seeds that I bought or a consequence of the abnormal weather this year.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 10:10 »
Bees seem to love eating squash pollen, and sometimes appear to get quite 'high' on it (unwilling or unable to fly out of the flower for several hours!) Other insects, including pollen beetles, may be helping themselves too.

Obviously this is not what you were hoping for from them  ::) - the only suggestion I have seen is to wrap a rubber band round the male flowers just before they are ready to open to prevent the pollen 'theft', then hand pollinate using a small paint brush.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2022, 11:04 »
Instead of the paintbrush method, I'll sometimes strip the petals off a male flower and pick it, then distribute the pollen from flower to flower by directly brushing the anther from the male flower to the pistil on the female flowers.  It seems to work.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2022, 16:19 »
Instead of the paintbrush method, I'll sometimes strip the petals off a male flower and pick it, then distribute the pollen from flower to flower by directly brushing the anther from the male flower to the pistil on the female flowers.  It seems to work.
Great idea but only works if your plants are producing male flowers  :(

xx
Odd shaped chillies

Started by snails2go on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 28, 2011, 09:32
by snails2go
clip
Oddly shaped cucumber

Started by Jax64 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 29, 2019, 09:33
by Jax64
xx
Strange shaped strawberrys

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 06, 2010, 14:45
by Trillium
xx
strange shaped leaves

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 19, 2008, 21:22
by gobs

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 42 queries.