Hard to buy vegetables

• 46 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Re: Hard to buy vegetables
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 22:07 »
I'd second that on the fruit. Things like gooseberries, raspberries, blackberries (if you can't pick them locally), plus tree fruit like plums and gages, are ridiculously easy to grow with minimal effort, but it's shocking how much they charge for them in the shops.

I can't really buy kohlrabi in local shops, nor squash varieties other than butternut, and it's pretty rare (and expensive) to even find caulis other than the mini ones, which are useless for cauliflower cheese. I've never seen chard or golden beet in the shops either. Kale and runner beans bought in the shops are horrible, whereas the stuff I've grown this year was delicious. The cukes I grew were also far nicer than anything I've ever bought. Anything freshly pulled from the garden or allotment is going to taste way better than something that's been sitting on a shelf or travelling for days or weeks, and I'd just rather not eat something that's been irradiated if I have any choice at all :)

ThePragmatist

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 12:54 »
Yup, I already have the start of a soft fruit patch, but I agree they do taste so much better fresh from the plant. Plums are amazing if they ripen on the tree and are always disappointing from the shop.

I hadn't considered chinese cabbage, but that is an excellent thought. Thanks!

I think I will have to give the salsify and scorzonera a try and see how it goes.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 19:11 »
I've found the flat leaved kales really good and easy to wash. Sorrel looks promising as its perrenial germinated well this year. I'll 2nd the fruit too raspberries straight off the canes have heaps flavour.

Just remembered huauzontle really easy to grow not bothered by slugs or pigeons good to eat too.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 19:26 by Madame Cholet »
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

thestens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 20:49 »
I thought this was just about veg second everything said about soft fruit Lots are available in shops but at what a price. Second the sorrel planted some seed years ago and they come up every year fabulous in 'omelette aux fine herbs"
Taken over neglected veg garden at new home. Enemy number 1 Ground Elder. Then there is the furry terror - bunnies - to contend with!
Made a start have beds established but moved in too late for serious planting. We shall see what 2015 brings.

ThePragmatist

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 09:48 »
I really like the taste of Sorrel, I planted some this year.

I have bought some Quinoa seeds to try next year, the internet tells me they are related to Huauzontle, but you use a different part of the plant. Thanks for that one, it was new to me!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 21:02 »
Expanding this thread out a little further: herbs are worth every inch of space and if you GYO you can then use them in lusciously large quantities.

Fresh coriander leaves used with chicken in curry, rather than using spinach, is a joy and delight, as is roasting meat on a trivet of frsh herbs and onion.

I could go on......

.... I could never afford the price of these, buying them in tiny plastic packets  :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Growster...

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2012, 06:57 »
Definitely more salsify next year! We just love it, and don't grate it, but put it through a mincer, then add a few almonds and raisins!

It's very nutty, and also keeps for a day or so in the fridge!

And we have some pea shoots on the window sill as a first-time effort...

ThePragmatist

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2012, 10:29 »
I tried Coriander this year, the correct variety for leaf production, but it turned out very spindly. I'm curious how much of it you sow and how closely to sow the seeds. I am going to try it again next year but much more densely packed together to see how that does. I did salvage a handful of seeds which I crushed into a dhal though, so it wasn't a total loss. :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 11:42 »
Must admit I usually just buy the big cheap bags of coriander seed sold for cooking in the 'World Food' aisle of my local Trashco and chuck handfuls in when I get a bit of spare space  :)

It goes to seed very quickly and that makes it spindly, so little and often sowing it the best.  I never thin it so its pretty closely packed  :)

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2012, 16:30 »
When I had an allotment a few years back (I only have a garden now), I tried to grow as many unusual crops as possible... only to realise why most of them are not widely available! Although I had some limited success with celeriac - they were not very big, but they tasted great, and meant not paying £2 each at the supermarket.

Now I only have a garden, I try to grow unusual varieties of things that crop well. So I grew 6 varieties of tomato (to varying degress of success), 4 types of chilli, and 4 types of sweet pepper this year, and only one of those was a common variety (Alicante toms). I also use a lot of the limited space I have for salad leaves. With tiny bags of rocket costing £2, I can save a good few quid with 4 or 5 pots of salad leaves, and also grow the types I like most (I love the spicy mix with mizuna and mustard leaves).

Growster...

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2012, 20:17 »
When I had an allotment a few years back (I only have a garden now), I tried to grow as many unusual crops as possible... only to realise why most of them are not widely available! Although I had some limited success with celeriac - they were not very big, but they tasted great, and meant not paying £2 each at the supermarket.

Now I only have a garden, I try to grow unusual varieties of things that crop well. So I grew 6 varieties of tomato (to varying degress of success), 4 types of chilli, and 4 types of sweet pepper this year, and only one of those was a common variety (Alicante toms). I also use a lot of the limited space I have for salad leaves. With tiny bags of rocket costing £2, I can save a good few quid with 4 or 5 pots of salad leaves, and also grow the types I like most (I love the spicy mix with mizuna and mustard leaves).

There goes a successful gardener, Lazza!

Marvellous result, and intense enjoyment at what's occurring!

I can't better that!

LilacSandy

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2012, 20:31 »
My salsify came into its own today, I went to the lotty to get some veg but the parsnips are so big I could not lift them in this wet weather.  The salsify being about the size of a large carrot came out of the ground easily and I enjoy them in a casserole.

Growster...

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2012, 20:45 »
My salsify came into its own today, I went to the lotty to get some veg but the parsnips are so big I could not lift them in this wet weather.  The salsify being about the size of a large carrot came out of the ground easily and I enjoy them in a casserole.

Lils!

Long time no chat!

Well done with the salsify! Exactly as it should be, and let me know what it did for your casserole, as I want a few recipes there!

(Not for me, you understand, as Mrs Growster is i/c that dept; I just wander around with a tincture and get in the way...;0)

LilacSandy

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2012, 21:06 »
Recipe, easy, just chuck any veg you have lying around into a big crock pot with stock cubes and any meat you fancy.  I love parsnips, carrots, Celery, Onions and Salsify as the base and usually use chicken and chicken stock.  I use my slow cooker so it is ready when I get home from a late shift and this time of year is just right.

I usually do a very big pot and wizz up anything left over for soup for the next day.

Growster...

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2012, 06:06 »
Sounds like a sound cassers that, Lils!

I want to get going on a salsify gratin one day, as there used to be a restaurant in Canterbury which had it on the menu, and it really did hit the spot! (the salsify, not the restaurant...)

xx
Vegetables so far

Started by weathergirl on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 13, 2010, 21:13
by Dan78
xx
What, when and how to net vegetables

Started by trogg on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 00:17
by suziet88
xx
Flowers between vegetables.

Started by rainie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 27, 2011, 22:05
by monkeywobbler
xx
Accidental vegetables

Started by Annie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 03, 2007, 16:10
by Annie

Page created in 0.405 seconds with 40 queries.