Hard to buy vegetables

• 46 Replies

ThePragmatist

Hard to buy vegetables
« on: December 17, 2012, 11:25 »
Hi,

I am going to give Globe Artichokes a try next year and see how they do. I was also considering salsify and scorzonera. Do you reckon they are worth it? Also, are there any other unusual vegetables that you can't easily get in the shops that are worth growing?

Cheers!

Paul Plots

Re: Hard to buy vegetables
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 11:45 »
I think if you know you like something it's always worth giving it a go. You never know until you try.

I started growing butternut squash because we like it and it mostly grows very successfully down here - saves on the shopping bills although it's no longer an "unusual" vegetable in most shops.

Good luck with our trials.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 11:51 »
If you don't like the globes, after trying them, then they are gorgeous plants to behold, plus the goldfinches love the seed heads.  Also the fruits look lovely on the side in the kitchen  :)  They are a bit of a faff to prepare and there's lots of waste, so you need a lot of plants to get a decent crop but if you don't mind that then they're worth it  ;)

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 11:54 »
I grew a row of globes from seed this year. They are huge. Only one bore fruit this year, along with a preexisting plant I inherited with the plot. I found them quite easy to cultivate. Unfortunately they are a bit of a faff to cook, though I found quartering them while small and young meant less messing about and fewer stabbed fingers.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 12:02 »
I've gone for versions of things that I like but that I either can't buy in the shops or are expensive - purple kohlrabi and beans, asparagus peas (not many people like them, but I do), yellow and stripey courgettes, sorrel, italian chicoria, crystal lemon cucumbers, scallop and turk's turban squash etc...

I don't think globes are a faff to cook - you can leave them simmering in a pot while you get a dipping sauce ready and then eat them hot with your favourite distraction (film, book, radio etc).  :blink:

ThePragmatist

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 12:19 »
Cheers! Seems there is some love for the Globe Artichoke. I am glad someone likes the asparagus pea as well, I just finished reading a blog post with a series of comments all comparing them to spiky cardboard. I was beginning to feel a bit sorry for it!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 13:11 »
The only way I like asparagus peas was to steam them and serve in a white cream sauce!

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 14:21 »
I grow Globe Arti`s (to be honest i just let them get on with it) but do not eat them, if i need something to smother in butter home grown sweetcorn is much better. ;)
I grew scorzonera for a couple of years but it is less tasty than a carrot or snip.
IMO Achocha is an unappetising weed , asparagus pea is pretty but bland.

Mooli radish is worth a go if you are into salads , grated mooli is a definite plus when added. :blink:

Jamrock

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 14:43 »
Rather than growing unusual veg which may or may not be worth it when it ends up on the plate I prefer to grow specific varieties of things i like to eat that are not easily available in shops or are very pricey

New potatoes rather than maincrop

Shallots rather than maincrop onions

Chilli varieties that you don't see in the shops

Borlottis and other french bean varieties

The list goes on!

Obviously if you have the time and room to grow everything then brilliant but this is rare

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 15:11 »
Chinese cabbage might be worth considering. It seems to prefer cooler weather. Sown late and transplanted mid to late summer it stands well when the weather's cold. Young it can be eaten as a salad leaf and later stir-fried or steamed.

Just a thought.  ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 15:12 »
Although I like to try new crops I never do more than one experiment per year, mainly because I've got a garden rather than an allotment, so everything I grow I has to be something that a) I know I like to eat, and b) is reasonably productive, and some things I've tried were neither (which could be why they're not easy to find in the shops!)

If space were not a consideration I'd also probably try globe artichokes - salsify underperformed for me and I'm not quite sure I liked it, and let's just say that asparagus peas had very pretty flowers.  ::)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 15:31 »
Although I like to try new crops I never do more than one experiment per year, mainly because I've got a garden rather than an allotment, so everything I grow I has to be something that a) I know I like to eat, and b) is reasonably productive, and some things I've tried were neither (which could be why they're not easy to find in the shops!)

If space were not a consideration I'd also probably try globe artichokes - salsify underperformed for me and I'm not quite sure I liked it, and let's just say that asparagus peas had very pretty flowers.  ::)

Red flowers and pretty shaped pods.... but can't eat pretty and flavour wasn't a hit at home.
Sweet peas for pretty .  ;)

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 16:38 »
I love artichoke, my mum cooks them just right!!!  :)
Pick them young as that keeps them tender when eating! Lovely! :blink:

thestens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 19:02 »
What about Jerusalem artichokes dead easy to grow and dead versatile. I usually have salsify( or the other one in which I can't spell) in and find them useful - as someone else said perhaps not as tasty as carrots or parsnips  -but how much are C  and P at the green grocers.
Taken over neglected veg garden at new home. Enemy number 1 Ground Elder. Then there is the furry terror - bunnies - to contend with!
Made a start have beds established but moved in too late for serious planting. We shall see what 2015 brings.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 20:55 »
Each to their own I say and finding your preferred veg choices is half the fun of growing  :) Having said that, I think a few unusual veg are worth trying and also different unusual varieties as Surbie says.

Salsify was not a hit with me, but it is very easy to grow, so worth trying just to see if you like it.  I like asparagus peas, but you have to pick them small and I can recommend seakale, which you force and blanch in the spring like rhubarb.

Some veg just tastes amazing when grown at home as well.  You can't buy tomatoes and sweetcorn like you grow yourself and a freshly pulled carrot is a different creature to a supermaket offfering  :D  Picking soft fruit which costs a bomb to buy rates pretty high as well  :)

xx
Vegetables so far

Started by weathergirl on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 13, 2010, 21:13
by Dan78
xx
What, when and how to net vegetables

Started by trogg on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 00:17
by suziet88
xx
Which vegetables to cover up

Started by sallal on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 01, 2013, 21:59
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Shady vegetables

Started by Jbee on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 21, 2021, 18:26
by Ema

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 41 queries.