Which propagator?

• 5 Replies

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
Which propagator?
« on: September 06, 2008, 12:10 »
Hello all. As the rain and wind set in (what happened to summer, by the way?  :shock: ) my thoughts turn to raising and nursing baby plants in the dark days.

This year I got my greenhouse  :D . Now I want a propagator for Christmas! But which one? There are so many different types and I don't even know what to look for. I'd like a fairly big one to raise my early aubergine, pepper and tomato seedlings, but am unsure whether to get just a heated mat for my bench or a sort of mini greenhouse jobbie.

Any advice or experience gratefully received!

Best to all, Jane
No one can understand the truth until he drinks of coffee's frothy goodness

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Which propagator?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 09:53 »
Hi Jane,

I don't really have a full answer but thought i'd bump this up to the top and jot a few comments anyway!

I assume you will have electricity laid on to the greenhouse?  I've got an electric propagator which holds one seed tray, but it generally does the trick indoors.  I don't know anything about heated mats, perhaps someone else will.

I also have one of the those mini greenhouses in my back yard.  Only problem with it as a propagator is that it isn't heated - most plants need fairly constant temps, particularly overnight in the darker months.  It's great for hardening off plants, but I wouldn't use it on its own as a propagator (though actually inside the greenhouse it might be useful).  If it's outdoors, make sure it's firmly tied / weighted down...
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

compostqueen

Which propagator?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 11:12 »
have a look at Two Wests & Elliott online. They sell everything and their website should help you make your mind up about what you need. Cost will be the decider I should think. Those small electric props are excellent. I have two Sankey ones and they're donkeys years old.  These are usually sold by Wilko just after the Christmas tat has been moved out the stores  :D  Wyevale sells them too as do Dobbies but Wilko, will be cheaper. Our garden centre (also cheap) sells them too - Stewart or Sankey ones.  The cheap ones don't have a temperature selector stat thing though but are fine for toms, geraniums, aubs etc and can be used without the lid where a reduced temperature is required. Gentle bottom heat can be really useful as not all seeds need high temps to germinate, very few do in fact  :D   I love mine and every year they get brought out about Boxing Day when I sow geraniums.  They continue in use til about June when they get cleaned and put away.  Two Wests has all the bigger set ups too

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
Re: Which propagator?
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 13:49 »
After putting this up I waited until after Christmas and got a propagator and mat half price in the sale from Sarah Raven's website (usually very dear but 50% off was irresistible). And by the lord Harry, all my seeds have popped up like nobody's business. I am astonished at the difference in propagation times, especially for leeks!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 13:54 »
They do make germination speedy don't they :) I've got cue coming through after just 3 days :lol: :lol:
It means it has to sit on the window ledge for a good few weeks yet tho ::)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 13:56 »
Be very careful how you use it. Don't leave things in it and with a lot of seeds that don't need heat, fast germination can lead to weaker plants. It's not always a good thing.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

clip
When to take the lid off the propagator?

Started by cadalot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 20, 2013, 18:06
by cadalot
xx
Propagator

Started by Armleywhite on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 31, 2013, 18:00
by Pimento
xx
Windowsill propagator's

Started by Rangerkris on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 07:06
by Rangerkris
xx
Heated Propagator

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 24, 2008, 00:16
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 37 queries.