My new toy

• 10 Replies

Loftuz

My new toy
« on: February 03, 2013, 15:54 »
Hi all.

Just wanna show off my new toy. A friend gave it to me. He never used it so thought I'd get more use out of it. As far as I know it's a Worsley major merry tiller? Dies anyone know different?

smud6ie

Re: My new toy
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 18:41 »
Certainly looks like one but had another engine fitted by the look of it.
smud6ie

Sparkyrog

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 19:33 »
yup looks like an imitation honda engine to me ! Identical Barbi too :)
I cook therefore I grow

smud6ie

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 19:47 »

More than likely its a Briggs and stratton, Ive not seen a honda  look like that.

smud6ie

Gazzgrow

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 20:06 »

More than likely its a Briggs and stratton, Ive not seen a honda  look like that.

smud6ie
Yep its a Briggs all right, (Briggs & Scapum we used to call them  ???) Looks like it needs some TLC best to give it an oil & petrol change first... does the engine turn over? Does it have compression? STD Multigrade oil & unleaded ptrl. Check the air filter too... The clutch.. be careful these things have loads of power you have to hold'em back when they go... One good thing, the tines look in good condition.

smud6ie

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 20:34 »
The deflector plate looks to be missing off the muffler, If so It may be worth replacing it to avoid getting gassed or bits in the eye.
smud6ie

Gwiz

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 05:59 »
The I/C on the engine stands for Industrial/Comercial. It's a heavier duty engine to the normal ones.
smud6ie is correct, the exhaust usually has a deflector plate fitted to it and you would be well advised to get one. It will cost you pence and save your eyes/lungs.
I have heard them called "Build an scrap-'em" before, which seems a shame as they really are very good little engines if treated with a little respect.
Yours, in common with others of this series engine, has a a device fitted to it so that the engine won't start if it's low on oil (that's what the red light is at the front in picture 2) it can play up if it has old oil in it or if it's been sat around doing nothing for a long while.
As Gazzgrow said, it would be a good idea to change the oil. SAE3o would be best if you can get some locally.

mower man

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 13:51 »
The tines on the left in picture one,  somehow look wrong
maybe you have 3 left and 1 right

or i may need glasses  lol
You may be only one person in the world,  but you may also be the world to one person.

smud6ie

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 15:08 »
The tines on the left in picture one,  somehow look wrong
maybe you have 3 left and 1 right

or i may need glasses  lol
No you don't need glasses,its a left hand tine on the outer right .
Smud6ie
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 15:10 by smud6ie »

Loftuz

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 10:52 »
sorry its took so long to reply to all your posts. been having trouble posting.
Your right, for some reason its got 3 left hand tines on it? ive been looking on the new for a right hand side one but no joy To be honest, i dont think the outer tines anre for a merry tiller? there very loose and poor fitting. Doesd anyone on this site have an idea where i can get new ones from?
Ive not managed to use it yet, the day i planned to get it out and the heavens opened.
Will it still do the job even though its got 3 left tines on?

smud6ie

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 20:30 »
I would say that a good proportion of these machines have a great deal of slop in the tines,I have one in the workshop at the moment that has more than 2 " of play and works fine.
With regard to using it with a backward  facing rotor, that way the outer tip hits the soil first instead of last so on compacted soil will make the machine  buck,if the soil is soft you may get away with it. If you do find it bucking then you could remove the  outer set and use with just the inner two although they can be more unstable so harder to control like that.
smud6ie
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 21:27 by smud6ie »

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 32 queries.