Oops I think my chooks got a bit tipsy!

• 7 Replies

freebirdy

• I'd rather be insane than boring!
Oops I think my chooks got a bit tipsy!
« on: November 08, 2011, 17:24 »
All of my gilrs love chomping down on apples as an occasional treat but I normaly limit the amount I give them. 2 apples chopped up and shared between all the  birds.
Today my neighbour decided to treat the girls with some very past there best, well matured, fermenting apples!  :ohmy:
I was out at the time so he threw a bag full over the fence!
First I knew was when I got home, went out the back to do the evening corn and meal worm feed and instead of being almost mown down by a mass of manic feathered lunatics at the first shake of the corn bag, I was treated to a bunch of wobbly, staggering, rather confused, blurry eyed birds!!  :wacko:
There were pieces of pulped up apple all over the garden and lots of very runny poos!!
They have munched there way through a carrier bag full!
My neighbour appeared at the garden fence as I was looking at the debris and the poor birds to announce he had treated the girls to "a few" apples that had gone off!
I hope they will be OK! They certainly looked drunk! 3 of them could hardly lift their heads up and I had to place them in their coop!
I'm either going to be confronted by a coop full of dead pure breed chickens in the morning or a sorry bunch of birds with hangovers!
 I have asked my neighbour not to treat the girls again. He was throwing over bread and scrap meat the other week.   :mad: I know he means well but I just wish he would enjoy them from a distance rather than take on the prespective that "during the war we fed chickens anything" frame of mind!
Fingers crossed they will still be with me in the morning, I only got 2 new birds on Saturday!
1 fiance, 3 kids, 1 fish, 1 cat, 9 poland bantams, 6 Barbu de Watermael, 2 allotment plots and not enough time!

Helenaj

Re: Oops I think my chooks got a bit tipsy!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 19:01 »
Hopefully they'll be okay - just keep an eye out for crop problems if they've eaten loads (and lots of runny poos). Please make it clear to your neighbour that he can't feed them meat, you could end up with a very hefty fine if you were found out - slim chance I know, but don't risk it.

If they do end up ill as a result of the apple episode and require a vet visit, then personally I would present him with the bill for treatment - that will stop him throwing stuff over in the future! :happy:

evie2

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 20:09 »
I have a neighbour who throws bread over sometimes >:( 'well the daughter feeds the ducks, chickens are just the same', no they flaming well are not I told him :mad:
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

freebirdy

• I'd rather be insane than boring!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 20:36 »
I've told him twice before not to give them anything without asking me first. Old school thinking, he used to keep chickens as a young man during the war hence the "we used to feed chickens anything."
I would feel so mean to present him with a huge vets bill, he's in his 80's!! On the other hand I don't fancy having hundreds of pounds worth of pure breed birds with their legs sticking up in the air! >:(
I'm hoping to breed from my them. My rooster was a showbird and proven fertile but if my neighbour wipes them out with his misguided "kindness" my hopes of showing and breeding and keeping this breed true will be dashed! :(
I'm aware that they should not be fed meat products and I don't! I'm defra registered and will be so angry if I get prosecuted when I'm not doing anything wrong! I don't sell any eggs from my birds, we eat the lot anyway.
Grrrrr this is his last polite warning - next time I wont hold back!  :mad:
Here's hoping they're all sleeping off their over indulgance.

Raven81

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 21:58 »
Oh dear.  I hope they will be ok this time.

I wonder if your neighbour understands that it is illegal to feed them scraps. Diffucult to explain to him  :(
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

helens-hens

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 13:12 »
Were there any hangovers this morning?

Seriously though are they OK after their over indulgence
Helen

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 00:45 »
Our native flax (different to a true flax) have a lot of nectar and in late summer it ferments and you often see drunk wild birds around!  Our cats used to drag in birds as big as themselves, because the birds were all floppy and completely unable to defend themselves!

The good news is with a bit of TLC a drunk bird recovers very well, and they don't suffer from shock the wayv a sober bird would if it was dragged in by a cat.

I would suggest a warm, quiet environment for your birds in the morning, and plenty of water.  Just like humans.  :)

YoungChickenLover

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 21:53 »
The thought of my already mad Chooks drunk is a scary thought!!!! Hope your little ones recover!
Weasel and The Chooks

xx
oops got lodgers

Started by rainie on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post April 07, 2011, 14:47
by rainie
xx
Oops - I am getting more hens

Started by cheriton on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2010, 15:05
by cheriton
wireless
hot chooks

Started by SamT on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 15:23
by SamT
clip
New chooks

Started by carl on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post May 20, 2013, 21:11
by grinling

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 38 queries.