No fuel getting to Briggs and Stratton 5hp?

• 7 Replies

Nobbie

No fuel getting to Briggs and Stratton 5hp?
« on: March 25, 2020, 17:46 »
Rescued an old rotavator that was about to be sent for scrap and it seem basically ok after a bit of cleaning up. The problem:I have is that it will not run continuously without me pouring petrol into the carb. I initially started it with Easy start and it died. The tank is full and I’ve even had it running for 10 second plus by gently pouring petrol into it to keep it running, but it seems that no petrol is getting from the tank into the carb. After running it I took the carb off and the little holding chamber in the fuel tank was full, so not sure if that means the fuel pumping mechanism is working and the problem is a blocked jet or something?

I took the panel off that contains the fuel pump, the membrane seems ok. Any ideas? It has been stood for over 5 years.

jezza

Re: No fuel getting to Briggs and Stratton 5hp?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 19:36 »
hello which model engine is it some have the carburettors on top of the fuel tank with two pipes down into the tank if these pipes are blocked it wont run take the carb off the tank and clean the filters on the end of the pipes then blow the pipes through with an air line, the other type has a separate tank with a pipe to a carburettor take off the float bowl and clean any muck out remove the carburettor and have it sonic cleaned this usually gets the muck out of the carburettor  jezza

SimonIG10

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 14:17 »
Strip the carb down, clean the float bowl out and use a bit of fine fuse wire to make sure the jet  is clear of muck. Use an air line/compressor to blast out all the fine passageways in the carb. I had exactly the same prob and that fixed it.

TonyB.

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 18:34 »
I agree with Simon - age 16 I bought a motor bike that was made in the year I was born (1953). Bits would get into the carb. Luckily in those days you could dismantle the carb blow out the holes and reassemble in about 5 minutes.
Cleaning out the tank would probably help.

Nobbie

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 20:46 »
It’s the sort with the two pipes which sits on top of the tank. Not got an air compressor, but will try blowing out with a bike pump and try a bit of fuse wire. Already had the tank off and given it a good clean out. Will have another fiddle tomorrow.

jezza

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 09:51 »
Hello on the bottom of the pipes there should be a filter which could be covered in grunge scrape them carefully if the filters can be removed use a foot/bike pump to blow the pipes through   jezza

Nobbie

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 17:14 »
Unscrewed the jet and gave everything a good squirt of carb cleaner. Put it back together and it started and filled the garden with smoke and a hell of a racket :lol:

Turned out the idle was screwed up really high and the oil might be a little overfilled. Sorted those two issues and it seems to run quite well. New air filter, oil, plug and drive belt on order.

Thanks for the advice :)

jezza

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 17:58 »
Hello sounds like its a industrial commercial engine tgey were goid in their day i started one up in a green house with the exhaust next to the glass it went with a bang as did the pane of glass  wasnt in bosses good books that day   jezza

xx
Briggs and Stratton 3.5 fuel leak

Started by SimonIG10 on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post May 24, 2015, 16:50
by grendel
xx
Briggs and Stratton Fuel tank replacement

Started by mrsbob on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post November 14, 2014, 10:38
by shedmeister
xx
Briggs n stratton.

Started by denbo73 on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post February 14, 2007, 17:07
by Gwiz
xx
5HP Briggs and Stratton

Started by andygregs156 on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post January 20, 2012, 12:32
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 38 queries.