Hermaphrodite Turkey Hen?

• 1 Replies

Sammy_nee-chan

Hermaphrodite Turkey Hen?
« on: May 06, 2011, 00:17 »
I've been wondering what's up with my Bourbon red turkey hen for a while now. We received her from my cousin's high school science teacher as part of a class egg hatching experiment. She's very sociable and a very special bird to me. For maybe the last year or so though she's been exhibiting some male behaviors such as puffing her feathers out, strutting, and making gobble-like noises. She's had a beard her whole life, but she's laid eggs before trying to hatch them and even raised surrogate young (unfortunately for her she's never bred with a male and doesn't associate with other birds very much). Usually she treats me as her mate and flattens out on the ground when I come by to pet her, but lately she's been acting like she's trying to breed me! This recent time she started acting this way I recorded a video of it hoping to find some sort of sign. I'm an aspiring ornithologist in my first year of undergrad school, so I'm very interested in researching this sort of behavior or whatever this may be!

Sassy

Re: Hermaphrodite Turkey Hen?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 08:58 »
 It is possible, apparently, for hens to become cockerels so maybe it is the same for turkeys???? ???
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Hermaphrodite hen!

Started by Catsmuvva on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 20:53
by TeaPots
xx
X-mas Turkey

Started by massa on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 17, 2010, 08:28
by joyfull
xx
Turkey

Started by Liney on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 04, 2014, 14:46
by joyfull
xx
does anyone have a pet turkey??

Started by babe on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post November 27, 2007, 17:56
by Jellyhead

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 38 queries.