Do my seedlings look ok?

• 6 Replies

LJB12

Do my seedlings look ok?
« on: April 08, 2013, 20:33 »
New to all of this and started some seeds off in seed trays in the conservatory. Radish, lettuce, Brussels, courgettes, marigolds and leeks. I think they might be leggy, but I know basically nothing. Are they, and what can I do about it? Also nothing from the courgette seed, any ideas?

I may be completely ignorant about allotments but I am super excited about the forthcoming growing season!

Thanks in advance

JohnB47

Re: Do my seedlings look ok?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 20:46 »
They all look healthy specimens but a little leggy I think.

The only thing I can suggest is to increase the light level. But don't be tempted to move them outside just yet - sudden cold could kill them off.

This is a problem for me too. How to germinate plants when it's too cold outside (and you don't have a cold frame). Perhaps, like me, you have modern double glazing that is blocking the sort of light that plants need.

Ahhh, courgettes. I had terrible trouble getting them to germinate last year. Too cold?

Anyway, experts will be along soon with better advice.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 20:47 by JohnB47 »

Totty

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 22:39 »
The leek, marigold and Brussels seedlings don't look too bad, but ideally you would transplant them so that the different plants can be treated differently in their own trays. I would probably suggest sowing the courgette seed in individual 4 inch pots rather than small modules too as they will not be anywhere near big enough.

The lettuce looks leggy, could just sow a few more and try to put somewhere brighter. These trays can all go outside on nice days now if sheltered from the wind.

Totty

Stree

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 23:03 »
I would start again with the lettuce. Plenty of time left in the season for quite a few sowings.
Try to get more light than warmth with lettuce, and as for courgettes, ideally bottom heat.Not sure if they need light to germinate.If they just need warmth try an airing cupboard or similar, but as soon as they show they will need good light more than the warmth. Make a screen lined with cooking foil to stand behind the seed trays if they are on the window ledge, nearly doubles the light and stops them reaching just one way so much.
Your soil looks OK in the cells, little too moist if anything, but that may be the way the picture turned out. Just make sure they are not sat in water or you will get damping off. Plenty of water but good drainage is the key.
I have lettuce seedlings outside, just watch out for more than a light frost. Radishes will probably be Ok outside by now. Have you got anywhere to set up a simple cold frame? That would be beneficial. 

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 08:53 »
I think the problem is that you have things that can go outside and things that need to stay in all in the same tray. You really need to prick them out into their own pots.

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 10:35 »
I know there is a temptation to go mad and so all your seeds at once but this seed sowing lark requires patience

Please, please take time to READ THE SEED PACKETS before you rip them open. Get a cuppa, sit down and read from cover to cover.  After that illuminating read you'll then be much wiser about the times and conditions required to grow your plants through all the various stages.

I've not done any courgettes yet.  They germinate and grow at the rate of knots but you can't plant them out until all danger of frost has passed so if you sow them too early you will end up with them having to be potted on and on til you can finally plant them out.

By the way, the leeks and marigolds look just fine  :)  The more sowings you make, the more experience you gain and for me the sowing is still the exciting bit and I never get tired of it.  Good luck with it all  :)

Mark's Sussex Allotment

• 38 year old male, Married father of two
    • Mark's Sussex Allotment
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 12:11 »
Did you sow your courgettes flat, or on their side?

If flat, then they may have rotted.

When weeding, the best way to know if its a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull it.

If it comes out easy, it was a valuable plant !

xx
Seedlings

Started by chris23005 on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 24, 2010, 22:23
by chris23005
xx
Too hot for seedlings!!!

Started by Lee1978 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 08, 2008, 09:59
by garddwr bach
xx
seedlings

Started by Shelley on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2006, 12:22
by comic_muse
xx
What next for my seedlings?

Started by Lee G on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 21, 2009, 18:58
by out4nowt

Page created in 0.385 seconds with 34 queries.