tomato soup

• 11 Replies

chrissie B

tomato soup
« on: September 04, 2015, 17:55 »
Today after bagging up some cherry toms for Aunty Doris I was still knee deep in them  so I did some chilli tomato soup and boy did it have a kick I used chilli flakes , still got a sweat on  ha ha .

chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Goosegirl

Re: tomatoe soup
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 11:11 »
Years ago, I made a tomato sauce and added some tarragon. I called it "Tiger's Tail" as it too had a bit of a kick.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

chrissie B

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 14:19 »
There were mixed beans in the soup as well and they took their revenge last night when we went to a wedding doo i felt like maralyn monro standing over the heating vent .
chrissie b

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 16:08 »
There were mixed beans in the soup as well and they took their revenge last night when we went to a wedding doo i felt like maralyn monro standing over the heating vent .
chrissie b
:D :D :D
Anne

Franchesca

Re: tomato soup
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 19:58 »
Really easy tomato soup - I've loads of tomatoes and courgettes so have been using them as follows.  Sweat an onion in oil till starting to soften, add sliced courgettes and cook few more minutes, then add chopped tomatoes.  Add heaped teaspoon of Marigold vegetable boullion but no liquid at all. Cook gently until soft, throwing some basil in at the end.  Liquidise.  There is enough liquid from the vegetables not to need any added so it tastes really tomatoey !

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 20:31 »
I roast, cut in half tomatoes drizzled with olive oil & seasoned with ground black pepper & salt, poke in some whole cloves of garlic. roast till done,then liquidise & sieve,dilute with veg or chicken stock & add chopped basil. I add some balsamic vinegar to taste & sometimes a bit of sugar. reheat & serve,its to die for. freezes well,I usually freeze without extra stock to save space
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Mrs Bee

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 13:32 »
I roast, cut in half tomatoes drizzled with olive oil & seasoned with ground black pepper & salt, poke in some whole cloves of garlic. roast till done,then liquidise & sieve,dilute with veg or chicken stock & add chopped basil. I add some balsamic vinegar to taste & sometimes a bit of sugar. reheat & serve,its to die for. freezes well,I usually freeze without extra stock to save space

What a brilliant idea, especially to freeze without the stock and saving freezer space.

I have trays and trays of tomatoes bullying me at the mo. And I need to keep the freezer space to store cakes for an event in October. I am away the week before so I have to do it all in advance.

I am planning to make more dried tomatoes and the sunblush ones in oil and vinegar too.

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 18:17 »

What a brilliant idea, especially to freeze without the stock and saving freezer space.

I have trays and trays of tomatoes bullying me at the mo. And I need to keep the freezer space to store cakes for an event in October. I am away the week before so I have to do it all in advance.

I am planning to make more dried tomatoes and the sunblush ones in oil and vinegar too.

As I tend to make most soups vegetarian I put the stock cube in but as little water as I can get away with & dilute once defrosted,saves lots of space,can do the same with concentrated stocks,just dilute when ready to use. I tend to freeze in takeaway style tubs(DD got me 522 from the chinese supermarket lol, just the number in the box for about £20), if I'm getting desperate for space & plop them out of the tubs,wrap in cling & bag up in a strong freezer bag,that saves plenty of room too.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 18:26 »
That's similar to the Fresh Tomato soup recipe that I posted last week, and it seems that roasting them adds an extra depth to the flavour.  It;s so gorgeous that I've even been buying tomatoes and making it!  I might try pushing the garlic cloves inside though like you do, grating them is such a faff.

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 18:33 »
That's similar to the Fresh Tomato soup recipe that I posted last week, and it seems that roasting them adds an extra depth to the flavour.  It;s so gorgeous that I've even been buying tomatoes and making it!  I might try pushing the garlic cloves inside though like you do, grating them is such a faff.

Yes just popping the unpeeled garlic in to roast,then blitz & sieve out skins & pips saves time. I also zizz the basil into the soup once I have sieved it to save time.
I also but tomatoes as I have serious with drawall symptoms for this soup,but then again I put in lots of garlic.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 16:47 »
Snowdrops - I dare you to add a couple of good tablespoons of creme fraiche to your soup along with the balsamic vinegar at the end. Your recipe is almost identical to one I have down as "Perfect Tomato Soup".

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 20:47 »
Snowdrops - I dare you to add a couple of good tablespoons of creme fraiche to your soup along with the balsamic vinegar at the end. Your recipe is almost identical to one I have down as "Perfect Tomato Soup".

Sounds good Daniel, but I try to keep my soups dairy free so hubby & daughter can have them plus I try to keep the calories down where I can, but I can imagine it would  be superb in it.
I also sometimes roast peppers or onions at the same time as the toms for variety.

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 37 queries.