Best Liquid Feed for Tomato Plants

• 7 Replies

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
Best Liquid Feed for Tomato Plants
« on: May 23, 2019, 21:01 »
What is the best tomato food, for plants growing in 9" pots, sunk into the greenhouse border please ?

I haven't grown tomatoes for a few years now, but I used to use Phostrogen, but it seems Tomorite is pretty popular now.

I'm sure you can make your own with nettles or seaweed, but I'm just looking for something easy and good.

I've recently got an allotment so will no doubt consider homemade fertilizers in the future, but just not this year. I've other things to do at the moment to get the allotment as I want.

Growster...

Re: Best Liquid Feed for Tomato Plants
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 05:49 »
Tomorite's pretty good, WBMKK, as it has the right balance of nutrients for toms.

If you've just taken on a new plot, then one of the first crops I'd plant is comfrey, and also use the inevitable nettles for a really juicy natural fertiliser. It's fabulous stuff, and also, in our opinion, the right food for leeks, onions and soft fruit.

And the rest of the plot as well...

And free...

lettice

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 09:01 »
Used tomorite for many years along with alternate weekly feeds of my homemade comfrey feed.

For comfrey sow some seed, it only takes 20-30 days to germinate and grows quickly, or  get yourself a comfrey plant. The feed or 'comfrey tea only takes 14 days to brew.
Been doing that since Beechgrove did their test of feeds and Comfrey did very well.

The Beechgrove factsheet is Factsheet 20 from September 5th 2014 that has all the details of the experiment;
https://www.beechgrove.co.uk/factsheets&cat_id=1&year=2014

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 14:35 »
I tend to use Tommyrite too however I also put a little spud fertaliser pellets at the base of the planting hole (base of your pots) as I find this helps produce good results.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 15:15 »
I like to use one that has some seaweed in, but other than that I get the cheapest I can see  :D

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 19:37 »
the best and oldest tomato feed is sheep manure collected put in a hessian bag suspended in a drum of water and left to stew for several months then dilute into a watering can and feed your toms  :   

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 21:12 »
We have maxicrop tomato on sale in our allotment shop, which is seaweed based but also has a higher proportion of potash (you want to look for the NPK ratio on the container, with the K letter higher than the others).

Don't overfeed beyond what the instructions say - it can do more harm than good, as it can stop the plant taking up other nutrients which it needs.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 22:59 »
Chicken manure pellets when planting out then comfrey tea afterwards.

xx
Liquid tomato feed

Started by Springlands on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 02, 2011, 17:26
by Springlands
xx
Tomato liquid feed

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 28, 2013, 07:22
by Mark's Sussex Allotment
xx
Tomato Feed - Ok for other plants?

Started by cudders on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 19, 2008, 22:37
by Ann
xx
Does anyone feed tomato plants when small

Started by RichardA on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 12, 2012, 09:40
by devonbarmygardener

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 48 queries.